VMware Communities
User
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I need Workstation to change USB devices? Alternatively VMware Player..

This is what I would like to do:

Install VMware Player on Windows 7 evaluation copy

I will have to setup a USB modem (ISDN-phoneline)

Can I add this USB device to my virtual guest afterwards in VMware Player?

I don't feel like installing VMware Workstation to just add this USB unit to the setup. I have no experience to use VMware Player. I have always had VMware Workstation to support me in every task I have done, so that is why I ask.

I can only guess that maybe VMware Player will restrict to deal with adding devices/units, but what is the truth?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

USB devices themselves act like plug-n-play. As long as you have configured the VM to have a USB controller and have installed the drivers (via the VMware Tools) in the guest, then you can attach any USB device to the guest with Workstation, Player, Server, Fusion, etc.

Workstation already includes the Player UI interface so that you can test out your VMs the way they will appear to users who only have Player installed. There should be a shortcut installed for it. You can run your VM via the Player UI and answer your own question here, I believe.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Player has no software with which to create or edit your virtual machine. Also, no support for Teams, command-line interface, record/replay, remote debugging, etc. You can use Workstation or 3rd party utilities (such as my own VMX Builder) to create and edit your VM, then run them with Player. See my profile for website.

Robert

User
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You answer is helpful. Thank you for suggesting that other free tool. I might use it later in case I can avoid breaking the terms on my Workstation license.

My question regarding how USB-devices operate on VMware Player vs VMware Workstation seems unanswered. As I thought USB may operate more like plug'n'play. But maybe you are right after all. I have not tested VMware Player. So I don't know what to expect in regard to USB-units. Maybe you can confirm some of my questions, or explain if there would be some info. to add here?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

USB devices themselves act like plug-n-play. As long as you have configured the VM to have a USB controller and have installed the drivers (via the VMware Tools) in the guest, then you can attach any USB device to the guest with Workstation, Player, Server, Fusion, etc.

Workstation already includes the Player UI interface so that you can test out your VMs the way they will appear to users who only have Player installed. There should be a shortcut installed for it. You can run your VM via the Player UI and answer your own question here, I believe.

0 Kudos
User
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The last answer sounds very accurate. I will definitely get to it now. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos