VMware Communities
G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Display resolution changes when minimized

My workstation 12 player screen resolution is usually set at 2048X1536. The host display is set at 1920X1080. I have been running at these settings the last year and half no problems. The VM started having an issue in the last week and I'm not sure why. I start the VM the display resolution is now 1912X1015. I change it back to 2048X1536 and it will run fine until minimize the VM window and restore the window back up, the screen resolution resets to 1912X1015. It appears as if the guest display is now limited by the host resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should also check the Display settings under the VM, you can set them to a specific resolution down there.

Now if that still doesn't help then you can always do what I personally do in that case..

Go to:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

Look for a file called VMwareResolutionSet.exe and rename it into: VMwareResolutionSet.exe.old

No more magic screen resolution changes by VMware ...

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Normally that is a setting.

Go to menu -> Edit -> Preferences

Select Display from the list

In the autofit group, the "autofit guest" checkbox should be unchecked.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!! That fixed the problem.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I spoke too soon. Yesterday it worked fine. This morning the same problem again!!!:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should also check the Display settings under the VM, you can set them to a specific resolution down there.

Now if that still doesn't help then you can always do what I personally do in that case..

Go to:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

Look for a file called VMwareResolutionSet.exe and rename it into: VMwareResolutionSet.exe.old

No more magic screen resolution changes by VMware ...

--

Wil

G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The rename trick worked!! Thanks!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos