VMware Communities
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Disk space is not preallocated when cloning

When i clone any of my Virtual PC's the resulting Image does not have a preallocated Hard Disk even though the original does, is there any way to change this other than using VDiskManager.

Secondly, Is their any way to resize Disks other than using VDiskManager as i find this very difficult to use especially if the Image has a long file name or spaces?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, if you don't like typing you can use my Windows GUI wrapper for the vmware-vdiskmanager utility. Smiley Happy

Rob

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Clones ?. - full clones or linked clones ?

FYI it makes no sense at all to preallocate linked clones

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Full Clones, I use preallocated as they are faster and i've had trouble in the past with expanding drives not expanding properly when you extratct service packs inside them , also as you seem to know what exactly is a linked clone, i've never really understood

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

i've used an older version that i found a bit flakey, i will give the new one a try, why is this not just a standard feature?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

vmware-vdiskmanager is a dangerous tool if used on VMs with snapshots - thats probably the reason Workstation has no GUI for this

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

i've used an older version that i found a bit flakey, i will give the new one a try, why is this not just a standard feature?

Older version of what? Standard feature of what?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I guess he means an older version of your GUI fronend and he wants it to be a standard feature of Workstation

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

exactly, but what i really need help with is why the clone is not pre-allocated

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

Also, i've tried using the GUI wrapper mentioned above to change it back to pre-allocated, but this doesn't work

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Also, i've tried using the GUI wrapper mentioned above to change it back to pre-allocated, but this doesn't work

If you want help, you're going to have to provide more information than just that. What messages are in the log file? All my wrapper does is call the vdiskmanager utility with the appropriate syntax and commands. So if something isn't working, it's because vdiskmanager is returning an error. Fix the issue mentioned in the logs first.

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

OK, i've run the GUI again and this time it worked and i've used VMX builder to change over to the new HDD, but is their a wayu to stop this happening when i clone. e.g. i run a full clone of an existing image that has a pre-allocated disk and the clone doesnt have a pre-allocated disk but i want it to be pre-allocated

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

exactly, but what i really need help with is why the clone is not pre-allocated

Because it's a bug. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dguillaume
Contributor
Contributor

So is this a known issue? is their an upcoming fix?

0 Kudos
gersson
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this too.

Not really a clone in the way I would describe it (1:1 copy of everything). :smileydevil:

So is this a bug or intentional?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

So is this a bug or intentional?

answer is already given some posts higher - use vmware-vdiskmanager if you want preallocated full clones. This feature was fixed recently and should work again

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos