VMware Communities
GianniC
Contributor
Contributor

Disk setup for my "development" virtual machine

Host configuration (HW):

Disk0: 74GB SATA 10krpm (C: 69GB)

Disk1: 320GB SATA Raid1 (D: 189GB & F: 108GB)

CPU: Intel Piv 3.2GHz

RAM: 2GB

Host configuration (SW):

Windows Xp (ITA) Sp2 installed on C: AND 😧 with software and swap file in C:, data in 😧

that means C:\Windows; C:\Program Files; D:\Documents and Settings

Host usage:

Home Office, Internet browsing, gaming

WMWare setup:

WMWare Workstation 6.0.2

Virtual Machines in C:\Virtual Machines

Virtual Disks in F:\Virtual Disks

VMWare usage:

Software development

Software testing

"development" VM configuration (virtual hardware):

Configuration file in host C:\Virtual Machines\Development

Snapshosts are disabled

SCSI disk 0 50GB (single file preallocated on host F:\Virtual Disks\Development; indipendent-persistent)

RAM 640MB

"development" VM configuration (SW):

Windows Xp (ENU) Sp2 Volume License

MS Visual Studio 2005 (ENU)

Question:

I would like to put the swap file of my virtual machine in a small (1-2GB) SCSI virtual disk saved in C:\Virtual Machines\Development, near the vmem file, to have my swaps on the "quick" disk and all the rest on the "safe" disk.

Which kind of virtual disk should I use?

-Non preallocated indipendent-nonpersistent (space is recalled when I shut down, but performance is poor)

-Non preallocated indipendent-persistent (and i shrink it manually when it grows, but is it possible?)

-Non preallocated indipendent-persistent (and a script restores the orginal 384K sized file, containing the disk, on host when I shut down the virtual machine)

-Preallocated indipendent persistent (and I waste my disk space)

I would like to go for best performance, but I hate to waste 2GB on a 70GB expensive disk to save an empty swap file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Don't bother with separate virtual disk for VM swap file, or use monolithic-preallocated disk on C:, the way you have described.

If this is still not acceptable, buy and install yet another physical disk and put those swap files there.