VMware Communities
Tychon
Contributor
Contributor

Disk partitioning

Hi,

I'm running VM Workstation 6.5 on an Intel I7 platform running XP 64 bit. I have a small partition for the OS and the VM workstation installation with 1.33 Terabytes of disk space left over to configure how I choose. The problem I'm having is, when I create a 50 Gb virtual disk and load Windows 2003 Server Enterprise the only disk I can see is teh 50 Gb disk I created. I don't have the option to create another parttion (say a "Data' drive) as no other disk space is available to partition. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sindre
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but to give more space to the virtual machine, you need to create more virtual disks, on a filesystem visible to the host computer. So if you got unpartioned space, fix that first from the host.

louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can use your favorite disk partitioning software to repartition your 50GB drive. I use Partition Commander frequently, you could also use a livecd of Linux to do it. As the previous poster said, you can add more virtual drives if you prefer.

Lou

0 Kudos
Tychon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure how I overlooked the obvious. Long day I guess. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos