VMware Communities
Elkor
Contributor
Contributor

Disk cleanup taking hours

Hello

I'm using now Workstation 10, after having used several of the previous versions. Host is Win7 x64 and one guest is WinXP x86.

I decided now to make disk cleanup (under Management) for my XP VM. This VM has two connected virtual disks, one 15 GB and one 30 GB. This cleanup is now taking already over 1 hour (it guessed to clean 4.5 GB of old data) to finish. While this is running is it impossible to use any other VM. The host HDD is an old 500 GB 7200 RPM disk.

Could this be changed so that this cleanup runs in the background? And maybe also add a time guess about how much longer it will take?

Thanks

elkor

0 Kudos
3 Replies
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the same problems.

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Elkor and muddin,

Thanks for your trying Workstation10. We are really sorry you ran into this issue!

After taking hours, did you finally succeed in cleaning up the disks?

We have to figure out whether there is a error in the cleaning up process.

Could you please follow the below steps to collect logs to help us for further investigation?

1. Open the installation folder of Workstation, for example, the default folder is : “C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation”.

2. Run the “vm-support.vbs”, it will create a zip log file.

Please upload the log and we will get back to you asap.

Thanks!

Xinda

0 Kudos
Elkor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

In my case it did finish. I guess it's just because of a quite slow HDD.

That's why I asked to have that moved into the background instead of foreground (and thus blocking everything).

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos