VMware Communities
Code_Warrior
Contributor
Contributor

Disk changes lost after Host machine unexpectedly reset

Good afternoon,

I have a development workstation VM that was running when my Host machine experienced a problem (memory module went bad) and unexpectedly hard reset yesterday.  I have restarted the VM a couple of times since then.  Is there any possibility that the data is still stored somewhere?

I am using VMWare Workstation 12 Pro version 12.5.7 build=5813279

Cory

Tags (2)
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To get a quick overview, please provide a complete list of files from the VM's folder, i.e. the output of dir *.* (for Windows), or ls -lisa (for Linux).

André

0 Kudos
Code_Warrior
Contributor
Contributor

Please find 'dir /s' output below

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The file list itself looks ok, and shows the latest action on the snapshot disk at 08/04/2017 10:32 AM.

There might however be some corruption, or data loss due to the unexpected failure (caches not purged, etc.)

Please explain what exactly is the issue. Aren't you able to power on the VM, or are you missing data from after the above mentioned time?

André

0 Kudos
Code_Warrior
Contributor
Contributor

I can power on the VM.  I do not see a large body of code that I had written (and saved, but not pushed to source control) yesterday in Visual Studio.  Likewise I do no see any recovery files in the Visual Studio 2017\Backups folder on the VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that there's nothing I can do. I guess that due to the hard reset, the virtual disk (.vmdk) files were not closed properly, and therefore the metadata wasn't updated properly. Unfortunately all older vmware*.log files are already overwritten, so that it's not even possible to find more information.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you.

André

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>   I have restarted the VM a couple of times since then.  Is there any possibility that the data is still stored somewhere?
Next time you run into a similar issue do NOT start the VM a few times after you noticed that something is wrong.
Instead at least make a copy of the vmware.logs after the first failed attempt.
After 4 "bad" starts all traces of the last successful configuration are lost.

Code_Warrior
Contributor
Contributor

No problem. I figured it was a long shot.  I can re-implement the code that I had written earlier.  Thanks anyhow!

0 Kudos
Code_Warrior
Contributor
Contributor

Will do.  Hopefully the hardware that is causing the reset can be replaced soon.  Thanks!

0 Kudos