VMware Communities
eholyst
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Needs Repair Message

I get this message after copying a VM from one RAID set to another. At first I though it was because the RAID set does not contain specific RAID approved disks. I crossed that off when I noticed that it was not the copy that was giving the message but the original VM. What would cause that to happen and it is only when I copy the VM or restore a copy. By copy I mean just the entire contents of the specific VM folder. I made sure that any VMware services were stopped and none of the VM files were in use when I restored or copied the folder.

This is on VMware Workstation 9.0.1.

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that it is not a false alarm ?

Can you still run the VM ?

The normal approach would be to repair the vmdk with vmware-vdiskmanager -R <vmdk-path>
But in my experience that feature is broken since a while.

Whenever I tried vdiskmanager  it either failed - and did not nothing or it says the disk was repaired but that was a bluff.

0 Kudos
eholyst
Contributor
Contributor

I am thinking that it might be a false alarm. I ran sfc /scannow and a full check disk and no issues found within the guest os. It just struck me weird that the file I made a copy of and not the actual copy reported this issue. I mean the same message will be displayed if I deleted the original and replaced it with the copy so I am not sure where in the process it is happening.

The VM still runs fine no issues that I can tell so far.

I had the same experience with the disk repair so I stopped using it awhile back now.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A false alarem can be easily identified.
Compare the vmware.logs - a corrupt vmdk often shows very long time outs and when it is in a bad state it lists graintable errors.

If those errors are gone in a later log it eventually was a false alarm

0 Kudos