VMware Communities
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Manager - Defragmenting

I'm using disk manager to defrag my Vm machines, but it's generating an (incorrect) warning and I wondered if there's a way to diagnose why and then how to correct it ?

Below if a copy from my command session. The incorrect warning line is

It appears that the disk 'W:\VMs\Windows XP for Support\Windows XP Professional-

cl1.vmdk' may be shared by more than one VM with different snapshot information.

=============================================================

W:\VMs>"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanage"r -d "W:\V

Ms\Windows XP for Support\Windows XP Professional-cl1.vmdk"

Using log file C:\DOCUME1\ADMINI1\LOCALS~1\Temp\vmware-Administrator\vdiskmana

ger.log

It appears that the disk 'W:\VMs\Windows XP for Support\Windows XP Professional-

cl1.vmdk' may be shared by more than

one VM with different snapshot information.

Defragment: 1% done.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi david

use the Vmware settings link on workstation,under hardware tab use the disk utilities to map and or defragment ur Vmdk files or use perfectdisk trial to defrag your vmdk files @http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/business-perfectdisk10-vmware/learn-more

hope this would have helped U,please check my answer as helpful or not or was ur question answered

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>disk 'W:\VMs\Windows XP for Support\Windows XP Professional-cl1.vmdk'

Are you sure this is an incorrect warning? The only time that a "cl" appears in the child portion of a vmdk name is when it is a clone. Is this VM a linked clone of another VM?

0 Kudos
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not quite sure.

I created a base line XP machine. Then I created a snapshot.

Next I created a linked clone from the base line machine snapshot.

It's the linked clone that gives the warning. But the linked clone doesn't have any snapshots, so how can they be shared ?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

But a linked clone IS a special kind of snapshot - at least as far as the virtual disk(s) are concerned.

0 Kudos