VMware Communities
Rob2k
Contributor
Contributor

Disk I/O - blk_update_request Issue

Hi,

I keep getting an issue with Ubuntu Server as a Virtual Machine.

The error reported is:

blk_update_request: I/O Error, dev fd0, sector 0 op 0x0: (READ)  flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

Im assuming this is a disk read error due to corrupt filesystem?

Though this VM Machine is on a fresh SSD (Brand New) moved from the last SSD due to this error.

How do i perform a SSD (CHKDSK -f of such) to repair the integrity of the VM Image, within Ubuntu Server using Term

Many thanks

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would just like to add that this is not related to any disk/ssd errors or corrupt data, this is related to the floppy disk (this is what 'fd' stands for in this context). The operating system identifies something as a floppy disk (at least this is my understanding) and it tries to read it, but it cannot. It might just be a part of a try until it actually identifies the storage type, but I'm not sure.

I myself have come across this topic trying to find a way of disabling this in ubuntu cloud image (22.04) for ova templates imported to vsphere. I get this error initially and because of that the system hangs for a while and then it's ignored and goes on doing its job. It works after all, but it wastes time, basically, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be disabling this at this point or how I should make sure that I don't add any hardware component that Ubuntu might identify as a floppy disk.

Maybe it's just the cd-rom which (initially only?) identifies as a floppy disk. I can't tell exactly.

0 Kudos