VMware Communities
voyager7
Contributor
Contributor

DirectX 12 Support on Workstation 16.2.1 Pro

Hi..

I'm working on getting Home Designer Architectural working with Windows 10 client. The Host is running Ubuntu 21.10 with Workstation 16.2.1 Pro.

The Software has a required minimum of DirectX 12 and won't allow 3D material to display. Any idea when we'll have GPU support that will allow this software to work correctly in a VM? Or is there a work around that I'm missing?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jon_Harmon
Contributor
Contributor

Chief Architect explicitly doesn't support VMs.  They now admit it, but didn't used to.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03049/troubleshooting-chief-architect-software-clo...

• Please note that running in an emulator, or virtual machine environment, such as Hyper-V, VMWare, Parallels, or VirtualBox is not supported.

See Amazon review of another user's experience:

https://smile.amazon.com/Home-Designer-Suite-PC-Download/dp/B07Q7TDYRT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3FAFB2UY3TBP&...

and do a review search for "virtual".

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On my Windows 10 VM, dxdiag shows Directx 12:

vmware-w10-dxdiag.jpg

I've had programs like yours tell me the same thing, especially some recent games. You may need to go with a dual-boot, unless you want to try GPU pass-through with QEMU (not for the faint of heart).

This is something I wish VMware would consider adding; being a paid product, they should have more resources to add something like that.

0 Kudos
voyager7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the pointer at dxdiag. This is a tool that I had not seen before.... Mine also says that it supports directX 12.... If I move over to the Display tab then I see this:

voyager7_0-1645650282270.png

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but the Direct3D DDI is 11. I think it needs to be reporting v 12 for it to fully support DDX12.

I guess that the question is getting the driver to report the DDI and Features correctly.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
voyager7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I've talked to them about it a couple of times. The most recent release will actually load and start, which is way more than it could do in previous versions. So all of the the 2D works. It just won't let the 3D rendering occur.

I'm actually beginning to think that they intentionally require the 3D requirements to be a little more than VMware or any of the other virtual environments can support, simply to prevent them from working on a virtual environment. I do actually have it loaded on it's own SSD, Booting it up means that all of my environment (Linux) has to come down and most of the time it's just not worth it. I'm looking for other alternatives just have not found one that I like yet.

🙂

Tags (1)
0 Kudos