VMware Communities
GT500org
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DirectX 11 and VMware Tools for Workstation 16?

I just upgraded from VMware Workstation 15.5 to 16, and there was no update to VMware Tools with it (it's still using version 11.0.6 build 15940789 which only supports up to DirectX 10.1). When I select in VMware Workstation preferences to "Download All Components Now" it tells me "All downloadable components are up to date", and when I select to check for software updates it tells me "There are no software updates available at this time."

Since it looks like a version of VMware Tools that includes DirectX 11 support wasn't included with the release of VMware Workstation 16, may I ask when we should expect an updated version of VMware Tools that includes Direct X 11 support?

To verify the version of DirectX that VMware Tools supported I opened dxdiag (the DirectX Diagnostic Tool) by executing it in the Run dialog, then switched to the "Display" tab and checked the Direct3D DDI and Feature Levels under "Drivers". As you can see in the following screenshot, the highest level of DirectX support for the driver is 10.1.

pastedImage_1.png

Now with a video driver that supports newer versions of DirectX, it would look something like the following screenshot (note that the driver in this example supports DirectX 12, and I won't expect to see that in VMware Workstation until it is formally announced).

pastedImage_0.png

46 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You mean VMware Workstation Player 16 Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For VMware Player users, please use CDS to download tools now. We have fixed the issue. Thanks for reporting this issue!

0 Kudos
dsafasd33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

is there any way to force usage of D3D11 on Linux with non-Nvidia GPUs? I am thinking of something like mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = TRUE ?

I am guessing this is the reason why even with the latest tools installed, DXDIAG reports only D3D10

Thank you!

as2rasda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also interested in this for amd gpus on Linux.

0 Kudos
codywohlers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have vmware tools 11.1.5 installed which gives me a VMWare SVGA 3D video card driver version 8.17.1.1 but dxdiag still says i only have upto 10.0 feature sets.

Did you have to update your video card driver in device manager?

Edit: If I disable 3D acceleration in the virtual machine settings dxdiag will show features sets up to 12.0 but my app will still not open and gives the same error about needed Feature Level 11.0 and Shader Model 5.0

0 Kudos
xxxxx22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After upgrade from 15 to 16 must importent things to run DX 11 is change VM hardware compatiblity : RMB on VM -> Menage -> Change Hardware Compatibility
Before this VM using old hardware and can't run DX11 games.

0 Kudos
codywohlers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK Got DX 11 working on my linux host.

Make sure you have the latest `windows.iso` from the link in anil2016's post (version 12.0)
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1115&productId=974

Then update the hardware compatibility as per xxxxx22's post or edit the `vmx` file in a text editor and change
`virtualHW.version` to the latest (`"19"`)

0 Kudos