VMware Communities
Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

Difficulty Connecting Two Virtual Machines

Forgive me if this question sound ignorent. I am new to virtualazation and do not Know how to get my two VM's to see and communicate with each other. I have never used virtual machines before.

I am taking a course on windows server 2008 and have been instructed to use two virtual machines in the virtual lab enviorment. I have a home network that has a DHCP server for the non lab enviorment and for my host system running the lab. I have statically assigned the NIC of my host system an IP address per my instructors instructions. One VM is designated as the classroon server that runs a DHCP server for the lab and is a domain controller. The student server should be able to be joined to the domain but cannot see the domain controller. I have statically assigned a an IP on the Domain Controller but the Student server where all the labs are supposted to be performed from, cannot find the domain controller when I try to join the student server to the domain.

Virtualization is new to me and it is unclear to me what needs to be changed so that the Server DC sees the classroom server and Vice Versa. I am using VM Ware Workstation 6.5.3 Build 185404

Both VM's are able to get to the internet., cannot see each other. What am I doing wrong and what needs to be changed so that I can Join the student server to the DC hosting the domain? I have never used VMware Workstation. The reason I got it was because my work uses vmware products, and because my instructor said he uses VMware workstation. The following is the ip config of my laptop (My IP is statically assigned):I could not insert the email i sent to my instructor so please se the attachment for the full explanation of my problem. Any hepl would be apreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Let's start by checking your IP setup. Post "ipconfig /all" from the host and both guests. Please let us know if you use bridged, host-only or NAT virtual networking. You find that setting when you look at the virtual NIC copnfiguration of your guest systems. If you are unsure, post the content of the guest .vmx files.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

The following is my IP setup for the Host:

6927_6927.jpg

Note that the 192.168.1.4 is a static address that I have assigned to my laptops NIC. and my wireless is currently disabled. As can be seen here the two vmnet adapters are not in the same range but the FAQ's said not to touch these default nics. I tried to put them on the same subnet but that did not sem to work VMware said that I already had the subet assigned to a different network. I expand upon this later.

The following is the IP config from my Virtual Classroom DC.

6931_6931.jpg

6932_6932.jpg

The network settings for the Classroom DC shown above is set to host only.

The Settings for the Student Server are set as follows:

6933_6933.jpg

6934_6934.jpg

This is how it stands right now:

I assigned both VM's a static address in the network and sharing center in Windows, they are in the same subnet, but they still cannot talk to each other. That is I cannot add the student server to the domain. I Can ping from the Student server (192.168.1.251 to the Server DC 192.168.1.250) but not from the Server DC to the Student server. I was able to do this only by switching both NIC's when you are in the VMware workstation environment (bottom right corner)to Host Only. Do I have to change something in the network editor? The network Editor says that the two VMnet's that are used are VMnet1 and VMnet8 but according to what I have read at the VMWare workstation community they say not to modify these defaults in the FAQ's. The way my home network is set up is that all PC's get their IP from a home router except for my laptop which has been reserved statically in my router. My laptop is hosting the virtual Lab Servers.The way the lab is supposed to work is The student server is supposed to get its IP from the DHCP of the virtual Classroom DC. I made a small scope of 192.168.1.250-254.

This is what I found from the FAQ forums in the Q&A

Q: Is it a good idea to modify the default settings of vmnet1 or vmnet8?

A: No.

I don't seem to be having any success getting these two machines to work. Also see my o=attachment on the original message. See the attachment in my original message that shows what I have tried to do so far. Is there any correlation between the VMnet's 1 and 8 that my host sees and the actual settings specified in in the NIC card IP properties specified in Windows? I would thing if it was changed in the windows properties it would change it in the VMware network editor properties. Also, How do you tell which VMnet network adapter(vmnet1 and vmnet 😎 is associated with each virtual machine. I see the network adapter for each VM when I am in the network adapters for each VM but I cannot tell which one is associated with VMbet1 and which on is associated with VMnet8.

0 Kudos
Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

I missed on part of my IP config in the previous screenshot for the host, I cut off vmnet8

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shouldn't your dns servers be the same as the default gateway?

or are you really running a dns server inside of each VM?

0 Kudos
Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

The Domain Controller is running DNS for the lab enviorment. My instructor said to configure DNS to point to the Loopback address so that when I staticlly assign the IP address to the DC and when the second server (student server) picks up an IP from the DC which is running DHCP, it will look t the default gateway specified on the DC.

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Domain Controller is running DNS for the lab enviorment. My instructor said to configure DNS to point to the Loopback address so that when I staticlly assign the IP address to the DC and when the second server (student server) picks up an IP from the DC which is running DHCP, it will look t the default gateway specified on the DC.

But your setup shows both the DC and the Student server using static IPs.

So the Student server will never ask for an IP from your DC.

Presumably if your Student server was in fact set up for DHCP (acquire an IP automatically) it would be able to use wins to see the DC.

It may be secondary to your problem, but all I was trying to point out is that somebody has to be running a name server somewhere, they can't all just point back to themselves as the the DNS server.

I suppose you intended the DNS server to be your DC, but unless or until you have a DNS server in that DC you have no name resolution.

(127.0.0.1 inside of a VM points to the VM, not the host).

AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Your host IP seems not to be static as it shows that DHCP is enabled. However, that is not important yet.

I assume you set the guest vNIC type to "bridged" as these systems are in the same subnet as the host physical adapter. That is O.K.

What is not O.K. is your DNS setup.

For the DC if it is also a DNS server:

127.0.0.1 for the DNS is on the same machine is O.K. but you have to configure a DNS forwarding address in the virtual DNS server pointing to your hosts DNS server. Otherwise the virtual DC/DNS server doesn't know how to handle requests that asks for other domains than the one itself knows about ("www.vmware.com" for example).

If the student PC should be member of the domain it should point to 192.168.1.250 as its DNS server. It can resolve other domains as soon as the DNS forwarding is configured on that DNS server.

The default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 on all systems.

AWo

Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason it Did not hold my IP configureation. I doulbe checked it and set it to static 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0 192..168.1.1 (gateway) I was able to Join the Domain with the Student Server I got the authentication box an d when I see the Server that joined the domain in AD>the domain name I used was "MYLASTNAME".local.When I sign into the DC the logon shows"MYLASTNAME"\Administrator which is what I expected to see. I named my student server Server1 and when I log into it it says "Server1\Administrator to me that is the local PC account. So I said log on as a different user it says I am going to log on to Domain:"MYLASTNAME" but if I log off and log back on it coemes up as "mylastname\Administrator and I can get to shared folders on the DC. This tells me that I am logging into the domain. I was just expecting the domain to be listed in CAPS as the DC shows. Is this possibly just a setting in the server.

I still cannot hwever Ping from the DC 192.168.1.250 to the student server 192.168.1.251

I set my DNS to point to 192.168.1.1 on the DC and on the student server to point to the DC (192.168.1.250) for DNS. and I am able to get to and the latter which is a website I have not been to on the VM's However I Get errors in DNS (first pic) the serve fqdn toggles between trying to resolve, to, unable to resolve.

6955_6955.jpg ,

6956_6956.jpg

I am not sure if this matters because I seem to be able to resolve external adresses.

I went to to configure the forwarding lookup address per the following instructions:

To configure a DNS server to use forwarders using the Windows interface

1. Open DNS Manager.

2. In the console tree, click the applicable DNS server.*

Where?

DNS/Applicable DNS server

1. On the Action menu, click Properties.

2. On the Forwarders tab, under DNS domain, click a domain name.

3. Under Selected domain's forwarder IP address list, type the IP address of a forwarder, and then click Add.

I did not see under the forwarders tab DNS domain and an option that said domain name (step 4) or Selected domains forarder IP address list and add (step 5)

I am assuming that what they are referring to is the following whichwas already added in.

6955_6955.jpg

I have a couple more comments that I will make later. Thanks again for everyones help so far.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I set my DNS to point to 192.168.1.1 on the DC

Setting the DNS the DC should use to 192.168.1.1 would be wrong. You should set the DC to use itself for DNS resolution. But configure the DNS server for forwarding requests it can't answer to your 192.168.1.1 DNS server (or whatever the host uses).

From the screenshots it seems that you did that right.

I am not sure if this matters because I seem to be able to resolve external adresses.

Setting the DC to use itself as a DNS server is crucial for AD operation. Configuring forwarding ensures that you can resole other domains than the AD one by querying DNS servers which now about them.

I still cannot however Ping from the DC 192.168.1.250 to the student server 192.168.1.251

Firewalls disabled?

AWo

0 Kudos
Cburk35goal
Contributor
Contributor

I should clarify, when I said that I pointed my DNS server to 192.168.1.1 I was refering to forwarding the DNS server which it did automatically ( I did not make any changes to the forwardingas shown in the screenshot in the previous post).. You previously said that I could point my DNS to point to my loopback in the following reply:

"What is not O.K. is your DNS setup.

For the DC if it is also a DNS server:

127.0.0.1 for the DNS is on the same machine is O.K. but you have to configure a DNS forwarding address in the virtual DNS server pointing to your hosts DNS server. Otherwise the virtual DC/DNS server doesn't know how to handle requests that asks for other domains than the one itself knows about ("www.vmware.com" for example).

If the student PC should be member of the domain it should point to 192.168.1.250 as its DNS server. It can resolve other domains as soon as the DNS forwarding is configured on that DNS server.

The default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 on all systems"

My DC is a DNS and I currently have 127.0.0.1 configured as the DNS server.

Should it be changed to 192.168.1.250 (the server address) as you stated in your previous reply?

I tried turning off both firewalls and still could not ping from the DC to the student server

How did you screen scrape some of the various comments i made and put it in as part of your previous reply? I could not figure it out being new to the boards and all. Again thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

How did you screen scrape some of the various comments i made and put it in as part of your previous reply? I could not figure it out being new to the boards and all. Again thanks for your help.

There's this small " icon at the top of the editor screen when you click on "answer". It quotes the previous post.

My DC is a DNS and I currently have 127.0.0.1 configured as the DNS server.

Should it be changed to 192.168.1.250 (the server address) as you stated in your previous reply?

It doesn't matter which one you use on the DC/DNS to point to itself. On other systems like the student PC you must use 192.168.1.250 of course.

I tried turning off both firewalls and still could not ping from the DC to the student server

Can you post "ipconfig /all" from all guests and the host, again? Use copy-and-paste instead of using screenshots. That makes working with it easier.

AWo

0 Kudos