VMware Communities
zidum1
Contributor
Contributor

Difference between VMWare Workstation Player (Free vs Licensed version)

Hello guys,

I wonder, if there is some one pager to see, what additional benefits has enterprise (licensed) version of VMWare Player.

I have seen somewhere, that you have a possibility (in addition to free version) to run Encrypted machines/Machines created in Workstation Pro and have possibility to lock some settings for users.

WE are thinking about new concept for Virtual PC central management and because Horizon Flex is not a case anymore, I am thinking If I will be able to have some dedicated administrators with Workstation Pro and then end-users with just player (to run centrally provided machines created via Workstation Pro)

But I would like to see, really all the differences between Unlicensed and licensed Player

Thanks a lot for any hint

Cheers

Martin

0 Kudos
9 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

Theres a compare section on the VMware Workstation page

Windows VM | Workstation Pro | VMware | UK

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
zidum1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot,

I have found there only this "comparision", but I wanted just to know some more specific informations behind 🙂

But I am really unable to find anything

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With what you are trying to do, it sounds like you would need to be licensed anyway:

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 08.57.10.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There's also the bullet point you did not highlight on the screenshot you posted - if employees are using the VMs you need a license for each of their installations of Player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
zidum1
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah,

sure, I know....it´s actually not about license itself...we already own 200 VMWare Workstation Pro Licenses, but from security point of view (and many other reasons) Workstation Pro is simply to "powerfull" for users.

So I am trying to figure out, if VMware Player isn´t an option, (with some GPO policies applied), just wonder if licensed version can run encrypted machines etc.

Also I think I read somewhere, that with Workstation Pro you have also Workstation Player license included....but not sure if true...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you want users to run restricted VMs, you'll need licenses for Workstation Player.

Encryption and restriction go hand-in-hand: VMware Knowledge Base ​OR Encrypt and Restrict a Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
zidum1
Contributor
Contributor

OK,

so to wrap this up.

If I will have a restricted machine created in Workstation Pro, I will then be able to run it in licensed Workstation Player?

Because this should be suitable solution together with a some internal rules and GPO policies in place (not perfect, but since Horizon Flex not a case anymore, at least something)

What about multiple machines running in Player....this is not possible even with licensed Player, right?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I will have a restricted machine created in Workstation Pro, I will then be able to run it in licensed Workstation Player?

You posted that screenshot yourself, so yes.

What about multiple machines running in Player....this is not possible even with licensed Player, right?

Correct, that requires Workstation Pro.

Everything you needed was here: VMware Workstation Player | VMware | UK

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can start multiple instances of Player and run multiple VMs at the same time that way.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos