VMware Communities
jj0999
Contributor
Contributor

Dialog box scaling issue with VMware Workstation Pro 15 messages

When I check for updates or work with specific dialog boxes from VMware Workstation Pro 15, I get this scaling bug that extends the dialog box across my multi-monitor setup:

pastedImage_0.png

I am currently using a 4K monitor (200% scaling) and a 1080p monitor (100% scaling). The setting to automatically fix blurry apps is also disabled:

pastedImage_0.png

I am on the latest Windows 10 1809 update with the latest November cumulative update applied to this system. Whose at fault here? Microsoft? VMware?

Tags (2)
26 Replies
bnz
Contributor
Contributor

For what its worth. I have the same problem. As I don't have any other Windows application that is doing this, I suspect this is a vmware problem. For me, it happens though depending on my two-display setup. I don't have 4k display, but two 27" 2560x1440 displays. The problem appears only when my desktop is extended to the left. When I'm extending to the right, I don't have the problem.

fragtion
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same "Wide message box alerts" issue here on Workstation V15.  I also have my display extended to the left. Regards

0 Kudos
Lane2
Contributor
Contributor

Strange. I was having the same problem, I made my monitor on the left the main screen and the problem went away.  I switched back to making the monitor on the right my main screen and the problem comes back.

I agree, it only happens with vmware workstation pro (15.0.1 build-10737736), no other app is having this problem.

0 Kudos
victorolaru
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with version 12, I upgraded to 14, the problem persists. So older version have the same problem too, but I think the bug has something to do with windows 10 too, because I had the same setup for years (2 displays the extended one on the left) and the issue did not occur until recent, with a windows 10 update.

0 Kudos
Lane2
Contributor
Contributor

I found another app that was causing a weird issue with multiple screens.  I went back to version 1803, it's clearly a MS bug.

0 Kudos
Benno1024
Contributor
Contributor

I get this strangely huge dialog box too -- it's quite annoying.  I'm running VMWare Workstation 14 Pro [14.1.5 build-10950780] on Windows 10 (ver. 1809 / build 17763.194). Monitor setup is dual monitors, extended, with Desktop (main display) on the right monitor (2).  This is on a laptop, with screen 1 disabled (see below).  I'm glad to see I'm not the only person experiencing this issue.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
FSUFursty
Contributor
Contributor

Its now January 2019 - same issue - VM please fix this !

0 Kudos
BASolutions
Contributor
Contributor

February 2019, any idea when a fix will be released for this?

0 Kudos
Richey_S
Contributor
Contributor

Screen_Setup.png

Issue is still annoying, would be good to get this fixed.

Screen_Result.png

0 Kudos
TSUJR
Contributor
Contributor

clean install of windows 10 v1809 x64 and latest vmware 15 and i have the same issue

0 Kudos
akynaston
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, This same issue appears on VMWare Workstation 14.1.5 build 10950780, Windows 10 with similar scaling settings.

0 Kudos
BradenSHG
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, this also happens on a system with no "hiDPI" displays (4x 1920x1200 in a square arrangement).

Monitor #2 is my "primary" and is in the lower left, in case that matters at all. Scaling is at "100%" across the board.

0 Kudos
bnz
Contributor
Contributor

It's a pity that VMWare isn't fixing the issue. Has anyone actually entered a support ticket describing the fault, possibly pointing to this thread? I don't seem to be allowed to enter any new tickets 😞

0 Kudos
wvoyek
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. Windows 10, 64-bit  (Build 17763) 10.0.17763, Workstation Pro 15.0.3 build-12422535. Dual-display, 1920x1080. Please fix this VMware.

0 Kudos
Jujucocoabean
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having this also, VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.6, Windows 10 1809 - I tried to find a fix and came here.

After reading the posts I fiddled a little to get some extra information.

Fix scaling for apps is on on my system, I didn't see a strong case for changing it based on the other posts.

I played with setting different monitors in use:

With Workstation maximized:

1 internal, 2 external: Dialog is mis-sized

External monitors only: mis-sized

internal monitor only: normal

I found that it is affected if the Workstation window is maximized or not. If Workstation is not maximized, the dialog is normally sized.

Richey_S
Contributor
Contributor

It is really annoying.

0 Kudos
TedFine
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here on Win Version 1809 and  Workstation 12 Pro.

0 Kudos
Adrscuds
Contributor
Contributor

Still happening.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1

Windows 10 - 1809

Workstation 14

Dual 1920x1080 setup (laptop to the left, 24" HP 24fw as the main display)

vmware-display-issue.jpg

0 Kudos
NathanR1
Contributor
Contributor

Having this problem while using dual monitors on 1803 windows 10.  Doesn't happen if i switch to a single monitor.

0 Kudos