VMware Communities
VMwindowsUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Device credential Guard not compatible with workstation 15.1 warning.

System environment details are: VM Workstation version: 15.1.0 build-13591040 Windows 10 version 1903 OS build 18362.145 x64

This is both intolerable and ridiculous. While the statement of being incompatible is true the solutions to simple disable don't work. Disabled the device security and credential Guard by turning off in group policy.  Made sure that hyper-v and windows sandbox are off in addition windows features from the control panel. Gone through settings through windows security..device security Core isolation is off (cant be turned on from here anyway due to being turned off from GP).

Still getting the same error when attempting to power on VM workstation. Isn't it about time this problem was sorted out and fixed? I mean Microsoft and Vmware are supposed to be experts in virtualization. Why between them they have they not put their heads together to resolve this? Looking at the posts of various partial solutions that work in some cases and not others it's been going on nearly two years. This software should simply work out of the box. I shouldn't have to be a geek to persuade it to run.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, totally agree.

Microsoft and Vmware should together resolve this.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would have a solution for you.

You must disable Hyper-V via "Boot Configuration Data".

Disable Hyper-V:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Enable Hyper-V:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Then the PC should probably be restarted.

0 Kudos
VMwindowsUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ps.jpg

Then rebooted PC...

after reboot retry VM workstation...

Incompatible.jpg

when attempting to start.

0 Kudos
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You must just disable Hyper-V.

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Then it works. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
VMwindowsUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Only a partial solution. (A full solution is not possible, at the present time.)

Your solution to turn off in that way has been successful in respect of the original problem however now Windows Sandbox no longer works.

This may be fine for a sole user but for a different user (with their own user account), not.

0 Kudos
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, totally agree.

Microsoft and Vmware should together resolve this.

nippit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, totally agree.

Microsoft and Vmware should together resolve this. +1

I would like to run Windows 10 sandbox and Vmware workstation / Player...

0 Kudos
jhearn1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The question is when are they releasing an update to address this massive (Moderator: Language removed)

0 Kudos
jimiscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's now April, 2020 and this issue is still not addressed. I can see the first instances of the problem in 2018.

Microsoft have apparently addressed the issue (as others have noted Virtual Box can now happily run), but VMWare have utterly failed to:

1. Address the issue AND

2. Keep the community up-to-date.

Perhaps the brains trust are focusing their efforts on big core server licensing rather than the Workstation product (which I have paid a non-trivial amount for).

However, after 9+ months of a possible solution being viable, they have failed to do anything.

(Moderator: Inflammatory language removed)

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you seen this? Workstation Tech Preview

We've been putting massive amounts of effort into this, and we're proud of the progress we can show through that Tech Preview.  Since it is a Tech Preview, be sure to carefully read the Workstation Tech Preview 2020H1 review guide​​ before trying it out.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jimiscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darius, many thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, moving my development workstation to use the windows insider build and the vmware insider build is simply not feasible. The risks of having a breaking issue (more than what I have presently) are too great.

It would be nice if VMWare issued a formal statement with dates so that your customers have some idea of what's happening (outside of these vague & scattered forum posts).

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should probably keep an eye on this blog: VMware Workstation Zealot - Official blog of VMware Workstation

I believe this post is still our latest official statement: Workstation and Hyper-V Harmony - VMware Workstation Zealot

We can't really put forward any solid dates.  VMware and Microsoft are collaborating heavily on making this into a reality.  As part of this collaboration, we are working with Microsoft to enhance their Hypervisor APIs and enable the most complete support and seamless transition possible.  This also ties back to the reason that we currently require the Windows Insider builds... Microsoft is responding to our requests by making improvements and fixes in the Windows components we will now depend on, and those improvements will take some time to percolate through their release process and appear in the regular Windows builds.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jimiscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darius, thanks.

Several things:

1. The post doesn't show up when you search for it. The article which you link is not referenced from CD_CG article which VMWare links when you have hyper-v enabled. In fact the article which you link, I would say skirts around the issue.

2. Looking at the problem more deeply, it appears MS were discussing these changes in 2016 (or 2017).

Windows Hypervisor Platform | Microsoft Docs

It's now April 2020. Three years for you/MS to react and/or put out an official statement with dates.

Your customers are crying out!

VMWare workstation 15 and Hyper-V / Credential Guard Compatibility

Is there a problem with VMWare or with MS? Did you not work with MS when they first shared these changes with you? If the changes fundamentally affect your software, wasn't someone looking out for this?

If we had our customers wait 3 years for a fix to a fundamental problem...we'd be broke.

Like your other customer's we're in a position where a decision over the Windows hyper-v features are now beginning to outweigh the reasons for keeping VMWare.

0 Kudos