VMware Communities
phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

Dell host machine's 64-bit Windows 7 HP freezes/hangs with VMware Workstation v7.x?

Hello.

Two other co-workers and I noticed that our 1-2 years old Dell Studio XPS 8000 (3 GB of RAM (three 1 GB), ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512 MB of VRAM) with Dell's installed 64-bit W7 HP (mine has the latest updates except SP1), the latest Catalyst suite drivers (previous versions reproduced it so it can't be that?), SATA HDD, quad core Intel i5 750 CPU, etc.) PC will freezes/hangs once in a while. We're not sure if it is VMware Workstation v7.x (I am using v7.1.3 and have seen this problem with earlier v7.x versions) causing it. We don't seem to have this problem without it running. The problem happens rarely so it is hard to reproduce easily and say when it happens exactly. If we're lucky, the hang/freeze will go away after a few minutes. However, it is not always the case. My last hang/freeze had a spinning circular mouse cursor and greyed out programs on screen. I left my hanging PC on the whole weekend and it was still like that this morning. I was forced to power down the PC to reboot. Smiley Sad

I was also wondering it is a memory issue. Is 3 GB enough to run one VM that uses XP (256 MB), Vista, and W7 (512 MB)? I only give my guest OS' minimum memories, so my host PC can have all the RAM. According to Windows 7's VM settings, it is system managed with 16 MB minimum allowed, 4594 MB recommended, and 3063 MB currently allocated. I also didn't see any errors in my event logs related to the problem and VMware Workstation.

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
do you run any antivirus software that scans vmdk-files ?

phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

Continuum: I have an updated Norton 360 v3.8.0.41. I would assume it scans vmdk files?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Norton will try everything to make your system crawl Smiley Wink

yes  - make sure it excludes vmdk files from its scans

0 Kudos
phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I will try that.

Another thing, I never had that problme on my older, slower Dell Optiplex GX280 with the same program, 2 GB of RAM, etc. It never hangs and freezes. But then that was VMware Workstation v6.x. Maybe v7 is bad (and yes, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling -- have to for upgrades)?

0 Kudos
madcad
Contributor
Contributor

Try, disabling Windows-7 power saving options. Set all "sleep after nnn minutes" options to never. 
(It's under Programs->Control Panel->System and Security->Power Options-Change Plan settings  (Display, HDD, & Computer Sleep times))

Kadri

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

madcad wrote:

Try, disabling Windows-7 power saving options. Set all "sleep after nnn minutes" options to never. 
(It's under Programs->Control Panel->System and Security->Power Options-Change Plan settings  (Display, HDD, & Computer Sleep times))

Kadri

They were already disabled. Smiley Sad FYI, v8 has the same problem and even without VMware Workstation installed, I still have problems so it can't be VMware.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I use an HP notebook 6730b and regardless if VMware Workstation is installed or not I have a similiar problem where the notebook seems to freeze eventually one time a day. You notice that somehow specific actions will not be executed suddenly. Best check then is to use CTRL+STRG+DEL and I will receive a black window with only the white mouse cursor.

Strange enough it takes around 5-6 minutes and after that ALL applications work as before ??? and nothing is logged in the event logs. I had updated everything but this happened with Vista 32 bit  as well as Windows 7 32 bit as with or without VMware installed.

Don't ask me what's happening and because it's coming back after 5-6 minutes I'm used to it now. I will take the time and go and get me a coffee. However you wrote that in your case it was really hanging/freezing (over a weekend) so it's a different failure.

I would however check the event logs and BIOS and drivers.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Bernd Nowak wrote:

I use an HP notebook 6730b and regardless if VMware Workstation is installed or not I have a similiar problem where the notebook seems to freeze eventually one time a day. You notice that somehow specific actions will not be executed suddenly. Best check then is to use CTRL+STRG+DEL and I will receive a black window with only the white mouse cursor.

Strange enough it takes around 5-6 minutes and after that ALL applications work as before ??? and nothing is logged in the event logs. I had updated everything but this happened with Vista 32 bit  as well as Windows 7 32 bit as with or without VMware installed.

Don't ask me what's happening and because it's coming back after 5-6 minutes I'm used to it now. I will take the time and go and get me a coffee. However you wrote that in your case it was really hanging/freezing (over a weekend) so it's a different failure.

I would however check the event logs and BIOS and drivers.

Interesting. Yeah, I have the latest motherboard BIOS and drivers according to Dell's web site. Nothing in the logs referring to the freezes/hangs, but maybe Windows never got to log them because of them.

0 Kudos