VMware Communities
IvanCarlos
Contributor
Contributor

Dell XPS 15 9500, Host and Guest Windows 11 - Unable to connect webcam Microdia Integrated Webcam HD

Hi team,

Please, any clue about whats happening?

I am unable to connect my integrated webcam to Windows 11 guest on Workstation Pro, sometimes it popups the message below. VMware Tools is installed.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 122941.png

Thanks and regards

IT & Cyber Security consultant
ivan@ivancarlos.com.br
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Questions:

1. Does the Webcam work correctly on the Host when its not connected to the VM ?
  2. Is it that the Webcam has never worked with the Win 11 VM, or is that it intermittently connects to the VM ?
  3. Have you installed the appropriate Win 11 'Microdia Webcam HD' driver on the VM (may I suggest that you take a look in Device Manager on the Win 11 Host for the drivers its using) ?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
IvanCarlos
Contributor
Contributor

1. Does the Webcam work correctly on the Host when its not connected to the VM ?
    1. Yes
  2. Is it that the Webcam has never worked with the Win 11 VM, or is that it intermittently connects to the VM ?
    1. Never worked with this VM, I also tested in Ubuntu VM and it also does not work
  3. Have you installed the appropriate Win 11 'Microdia Webcam HD' driver on the VM (may I suggest that you take a look in Device Manager on the Win 11 Host for the drivers its using) ?
    1. The device is disconnected immediately when I try to connect it on VM Removable Devices, I am unable to try to find a driver to it because the device does not stay connected into VM

Thanks

ivan@ivancarlos.com.br
0 Kudos
IvanCarlos
Contributor
Contributor

No way? OK...

ivan@ivancarlos.com.br
0 Kudos
Basmati
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

I am getting the exact same error message on a Dell Inspiron 7306 laptop dated 2022.

This is what is shown in the logs as error:
vmx [msg.usb.connectFailedErr] The connection for the USB device 'Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD' was unsuccessful. Driver error.

This shows up as soon as I try to connect the camera from the "Player / Removable Devices / Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD" option in the running VM.

To answer the same questions:

i. Yes the camera works perfectly under the Host in Windows 11
ii. It never worked in the Windows 11 Gest
iii. I did not find the Microdia webcam driver on their website nor on Dell's website, so I cannot install it.

From the message, it seems to be really only related to this webcam hardware. It seems that the support should be able to reproduce this error easily if trying on a computer that has the same webcam.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos