VMware Communities
cam_macdonell
Contributor
Contributor

Deleting .lck files does not give me access to my machines

Hi,

I've been having the lock problem that results in "This machine appears to be in use" since upgrading to WS6. I've tried all fixes that I've been able to find on this forum. I've tried deleting and renaming the .lck directory both with and without workstation running. In particular, it is Windows Guests (XP and 2003 Server) that I can't get running. After deleting the .lck directory I can see that it gets recreated by WS6 when I try to open those VMs. I was able to successfully remove the locks for a Linux guest I had.

Is there anything else to try? Has any else had this level of difficulty?

For completeness, I'm running WS6 on 64-bit Scientific Linux 5.0.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Cam

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that you do not have the Workstation UI open when trying to delete the *.lck

0 Kudos
cam_macdonell
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried that, however when I start the UI and then try to open the file it simply recreates the .lck directory. Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I've tried that, however when I start the UI and then try to open the file it simply recreates the .lck directory.

Yes - thats what it is supposed to do.

There should be no lock-dirs and /or lockfiles before you open that VM

0 Kudos
cam_macdonell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it should create that lck directory, but the lck directory persists even though the VM is never opened. With other VMs the lck directory goes away when the VM is closed.

0 Kudos
cam_macdonell
Contributor
Contributor

Ahhh, found it. I don't think I saw this case before in the forums (my fault if I missed it). If a VM is part of a team, all VMs in the team must be unlocked. There was one VM that I forgot was part of that particular team and so the whole team was locked for this reason. Unfortunately, the error would have been more helpful if it said "Another VM in this team is locked and all teams must be unlocked before the team can be opened".

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Cam

0 Kudos
jwinkel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry. It isn't clear to me how you fixed the problem. When I load VMWare, all my images get lck's.

Thanks

0 Kudos