VMware Communities
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deleting/consolidating intermediate snapshots

A lot of discussion on the forum about deleting intermediate snapshots with the conclusion being (I think) that this is a bad idea and will possibly lead to a system crash.

Given the above, any suggestions about how to handle the following situation:

Imagine a Virtual Machine comprised of a string of snapshots, A, B, C, D, E, F. Snap B, D, and E are just taking up space. I realize that I can Clone Snap F and wind up with a consolidated VM but what can I do if my goal is to maintain Snap A, and Snap FA?

Any way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just highlight the nodes you want to remove (B) and click "delete".

It may be counter intuitive, but "delete" means "merge node to right"

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We should be able to merge 2 "middle point" snapshots. Because what you have stated is a snapshot chain.

Root Node ==> A ==> B ==> C ==> D ==> E ==> F

In case you want to save the HDD space from B D & E, they have to be merged somewhere. To maintain your revert points a snapshot would have to be merged to the right.

Root Node <== A <== BC <== DE+F

Please note I am using a Workstation Tech Preview, but it worked for me. I had a chain like this:

Root <== OS installed <== app installed <== upgrade os <== upgraded app <== created test database <== you are here

I clicked on my "App Installed" and clicked Delete, and it merged successfully to the right.

As for the resulting crash .... I haven't hit one before, and don't know of a 3rd party tool to merge those snapshots.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cool, but I don't see anywhere to merge to the right in your example. What am I missing?

Carrying the idea further, is there anyway to delete Snap B, D, & E; just maintaining Snap A & F?

Thanks 10^6

k

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just highlight the nodes you want to remove (B) and click "delete".

It may be counter intuitive, but "delete" means "merge node to right"

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

0 Kudos