VMware Communities
WallLeaf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting a snapshot and its children leaves me in which state?

Hello,

So I have:

Snapshot A (oldest)   --->   Snapshot B   --->   Snapshot C   --->   Snapshot D (newest)   --->   You Are Here

If I delete Snapshot D and its children, does my VM state remain at the current state, at which point I can decide to take a new snapshot? Or do I get reverted to a Snapshot A?

I'm using WS 14.1.1 on Windows Server 2016, and I have a VM which I don't need some old snapshots anymore. I would like to free up some storage space so I figured I would delete the snapshots and then see if compacting the .vmdk gives me some wiggle room.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Deleting a snapshot (any snapshot) does not perform any sort of reversion to your current state. It will only remove the point back to which you can revert, and it does so by combining the data that has accumulated since that point with the previous point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Deleting a snapshot (any snapshot) does not perform any sort of reversion to your current state. It will only remove the point back to which you can revert, and it does so by combining the data that has accumulated since that point with the previous point.

0 Kudos