VMware Communities
Mradziwo
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted parent of linked-clone. Is restore of linked clone additions possible?

I am on a start of the journey to proffesionally use VM's, and I made one of the rookie errors - I've deleted the parent of linked clone VM.

Now obviously my linked clone VM wont run, but is there some possibility to retrieve files I have added in my linked clone from linked clone vmdk file ?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
the idea here is to create a "fake" parent disk and then attach the snapshots of the linked clone.
The prognosis for such a procedure depends on many parameters and it is impossoble to estimate the chances at this point.
Anyway - it is possible and I have had quite good results in several cases.
Generally speaking I can say that the larger the snapshots are the better the chances.
Please provide more details or call me via skype if you want me to do it for you.
Ulli

0 Kudos
Mradziwo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Continuum,

Thanks for bringing some hope.

My exact situation was having a clean install of windows 7 -> snapshot -> create linked clone -> Install LabVIEW Development (~6GG) -> Create LabVIEW application (~10MB)-> delete parent.

I have copied vmdk file changed parent ID to ffffff and tried to mount this vmdkfile as harddrive to a helper vm - no success.

I am left with folder with content:

Capture.PNG

What other information I can provide you with?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I have copied vmdk file changed parent ID to ffffff and tried to mount this vmdkfile as harddrive to a helper vm - no success.
How exactly did you do that ? Did you extract the descriptor or did you use a hexeditor ?
Please post the descriptor-vmdk
Please create a new clean install of Windows 7 - just like you did it before. Do that in a different directory.

0 Kudos
Mradziwo
Contributor
Contributor

I have used EMEditor to open vmdk file as ascii:

KDMV ㄀㄀㄀ ㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀ ㄀㄀㄀㄀€㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀ ㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀ ㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀ ㄀㄀ ㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀5@㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀€€㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀

㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀㄀# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
encoding="windows-1252"
CID=889d6167
parentCID=7b14356d
createType="monolithicSparse"
parentFileNameHint="C:\Workspace\VMs\PV00126\PV00126.vmdk"
# Extent description
RW 268435456 SPARSE "PV00126-cl1.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.longContentID = "03210ce495c01552eba7def9889d6167"
ddb.toolsInstallType = "1"
ddb.toolsVersion = "10304"

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Not a good idea ata all.
Was the edited vmdk accepted by Workstation ?

0 Kudos
Mradziwo
Contributor
Contributor

not at all....

this idea also was not my favor, but I've dud it out in internet somewhere (now I cannot find a reference 😕  )

to clear out - I've first made a copy of vmdk file before editing anything in it. (you may see the copy-backup file in the listing)

the header I posted before comes from untouched vmdk file

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please read:
VMDK-Handbook-Basics
that link explains how to edit embedded descriptors.
Suggestion: call me via skype and we do it together

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I will be away from my computer for a couple of hours in about 15 minutes.
If you want assistance please prepare the following:
- create new Windows 7 install as you did before - create a vmdk of 128GB.
- do not run automatic updates after initial install
- download Teamviewer 10 Quick support module: http://download.teamviewer.com/download/version_10x/TeamViewerQS.exe
- send a message via skype to "sanbarrow" when you are ready
Ulli

0 Kudos
Mradziwo
Contributor
Contributor

I had an issue with my PC and I have ad i really problematic to bome back online.

What time would suit you the best for a skype call ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

My skype is always on ... I am located in germany and usually I answer between 12:00 and 24:00

0 Kudos