VMware Communities
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted VM files while using it.

By mistake have deleted all files(what was allowed) for my VM while using it. Now, of cause, can't turn it on. Tried to recover files - didn't help, got them back but anyway not load up. All I got now, is just a bunch of .vmdk files. 

Someone had such kind of problem? Really need a resolve 😞

0 Kudos
22 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That may help.

What I think you can do, is to copy all of the parent .vmdk files from the whole chain over to the new PC (into a new directory).

Then chain "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" to the copied "Windows 7-000002.vmdk", i.e. set "parentFileNameHint", and "parentCID" in "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" to match "Windows 7-000002.vmdk".

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I did something wrong, but result:

The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child

Cannot open the disk 'D:\Новая папка\experements\Windows 7-cl1.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming that you've copied all the parent virtual disk (.vmdk) files to your new PC, then you need to fix the snapshot chain, which could look like this (just an assumtion):

Windows 7-cl1.vmdk -> Windows 7-000002.vmdk -> Windows 7-000001.vmdk -> Windows 7.vmdk

To find out how it really looks like, you need to check the .vmdk header files' metadata, For each of the copied parent files the "parentFileNameHint" should match its direct parent's .vmdk file name, and the "parentCID" should math its parent's "CID".

If this is the case, you can now try to re-chain the current Windows 7-cl1.vmdk to its parent, by setting "parentFileNameHint", and "parentCID" to match its parent's (likely Windows 7-000002.vmdk) metadata.

Once the chain is consistent, make may try to power on the VM. Since you do have a backup (that's what I understand), it may not be required, but I'd suggest that you take another snapshot prior to powering on the VM, so that the current .vmdk files won't get modified.

If you are unsure, then please compress/zip all the .vmdk header/descriptor files and attach the .zip archive to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos