VMware Communities
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted VM files while using it.

By mistake have deleted all files(what was allowed) for my VM while using it. Now, of cause, can't turn it on. Tried to recover files - didn't help, got them back but anyway not load up. All I got now, is just a bunch of .vmdk files. 

Someone had such kind of problem? Really need a resolve 😞

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see "edit" button, so I hope this response will just edit 1st messge.

Something happened and in folder appeared .vmx file. But when I tried to start VM, it ask for Windows 7-000002.vmdk . Specified that file from different VM, and now it says that "The file specified is not a virtual disk."

I really need help to fix this problem. Tried to get something with emulating .vmdk , but got only garbage and corrupted stuff 😞

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Most important : calm down !

Stop any experiments !
If possible stop using the physical drives you use to store that VM.

Then provide details - we need a complete file-list and a report of what you have done so far.

Ulli

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

So far I tried to restore all files with Hetman Partition Recovery, was looking good but when I tried to launch what I have restored, vmware didn't react on files that I tried to open with it. I specify to open new VM and it didn't appear in the list. Mostly thats all what I have done.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the file list you've posted, this may be something that's easy to recover.

Plan A:

1. IMPORTANT: Backup all the files in the VM's folder, to have a way back in case something doesn't work as expected!!!
  2. Open "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" in a text editor to see whether it contains entries for all of the 31 "...-s0xx.vmdk" file names.
  3. If it does, copy "Clone of Windows 7 (2).vmx" to "Windows 7-cl1.vmx", and change the virtual disk name within "Windows 7-cl1.vmx" to "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" (I assume that there's only one .vmdk reference in this file).
  4. See whether you can start the VM using the new configuration (.vmx) file.

If this doesn't work, there will be a Plan B, which however requires some more work.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

On the step 2 I can see a possible problem. It shows that parentFileNameHint="D:\{erased}Windows 7\Windows 7-000002.vmdk" from different folder, because previously I tried to specify it from other virtual machine. And after that VMware starts telling me after powering on "The file specified is not a virtual disk."

Or it doesn't matter and I should continue instructions?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Or it doesn't matter and I should continue instructions?

No, it's good that you stopped, and ask beck.

... because previously I tried to specify it from other virtual machine.

If I understand this correctly, the VM is a "linked clone". What about the parent files? What happened to them?

Please run dir *.* /oen > filelist.txt in both directories (clone, and parent), and attach the two listings to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

If parent means that this VM is a clone, then its strange. Because I copied it long time ago from my old PC. And so far it was working by itself.

Just VM asks me for deleted file, and I tried to give her at least something. And give her from other VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

OK, only to clarify. "D:\{erased}Windows 7\Windows 7-000002.vmdk"" never existed on the new PC?

In this case, please comress/zip "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" along with the VM's .vmx, and .log files, and attach the .zip archive to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Well, its a file that was belong to some old not used VM long time ago. It was recovered with a program that I use to get my files back, and I decided to try that. Two different VM.

Attaching files you requested.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm still not sure whether I fully understand the situation.

Anyway, you download, and extract the attached .zip file to the VM's directory, and then try to "Map" the virtual disk using the new .vmdk file in VMware Workstation, to see whether it shows the expected contents.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

After I deleted all what I could from VM directory, and tried to turn on VM again, it ask me to specify that Windows 7-000002.vmdk. And I specified that from OTHER VM but for same WIN7, though that could help. After I specified that Windows 7-000002.vmdk for VM that I need, I am getting error "The file specified is not a virtual disk.". Sorry for my bad English, hope now its clearer 😞

Got something new. Almost got heart attack, but too early. Attaching screenshot

Screenshot_35.jpg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Simply pointing to another file with the same name doesn't help, because snapshots ( that's what linked clones basically are) only store changed data blocks, and rely on their parent .vmdk files for data blocks which have not been modified yet.

If these parent .vmdk files existed previously, i.e. these are the ones you've deleted, then chances are low that you can get this VM to work again. What you can try to do, is to use the "Map virtual disk ..:" feature within VMware Workstation, and try to map the virtual disk using the .vmdk file I posted in my previous reply.

If this doesn't work, it may be possible to create a dummy VM (same virtual disk size, same OS, same guest file system formatting), and chain the existing .vmdk to it. Then use a recovery tool to extract as much data as possible. The larger the clone files are the better the chance to recover data.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

I have specified your file and screenshot shows result.

Hmm, maybe I have 2-3 years old copy of exactly the same VM on my old notebook. Can that help somehow?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe, it depends on when the clone has been created.

Please run dir *.* /oen > filelist.txt in the VM's folder on the old notebook, and attach the filelist.txt to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Sending.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is not the output I asked for, i.e. it doesn't contain file details, like sizes, and time stamps.

Anyway, please attach the "Windows 7-cl1.vmdk" to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Hope now did better. Can't run with cmd.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

parentFileNameHint="C:\Users\Ne\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7\Windows 7-000002.vmdk"

Do the parent files (back to the base files) still exist on the old PC?

André

0 Kudos
Slavec89
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

0 Kudos