VMware Communities
saikolavenu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Delete a disk with Workstation

Hello Forum,

I had to extend the disk space temporally by adding additional disks. Now I want to delete them. But it seems that Remove from the VMWare settings does not delete the disk from HD. A internet search says that this can be only done manually. How can I identify which files are part of which disk? (I'm using snapshots)

My main disk that should NOT be delete has the name "Win2012 Clnt-000005.vmdk". The disk I want to delete is "Win2012 Clnt-0.vmdk". There was a preallocated disk with the name "Win2012 Clnt-1.vmdk". I think I have deleted the preallocated. How can I delete the Clnt-0?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sai,

Welcome to the Community,

the best way to find out which virtual disks are in use is to take a look at the VM's vmware.log file. Please remember that you may not be able to revert to a previous snapshot if the virtual disk you are going to delete was attached to the VM while it already had snapshots (the .vmsd file will show which files are required).

Anyway, what I would recommend is - rather than deleting the files right away - to move them to a new sub-folder to see whether the VM powers on properly. If everything still works as expected and all your files are available, you may then delete the sub-folder with the moved files.

Please mark correct if my answer is use ful

Thanks

Chaithu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sai,

Welcome to the Community,

the best way to find out which virtual disks are in use is to take a look at the VM's vmware.log file. Please remember that you may not be able to revert to a previous snapshot if the virtual disk you are going to delete was attached to the VM while it already had snapshots (the .vmsd file will show which files are required).

Anyway, what I would recommend is - rather than deleting the files right away - to move them to a new sub-folder to see whether the VM powers on properly. If everything still works as expected and all your files are available, you may then delete the sub-folder with the moved files.

Please mark correct if my answer is use ful

Thanks

Chaithu

0 Kudos
saikolavenu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick response

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

chaithu4u

Hmm, I knew I read your answer somewhere before. (Re: Delete a disk with Workstation 9)

André

Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hehe Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats the correct answer ! Supper fast.............

0 Kudos