VMware Communities
cynar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Defect: "NOT_IMPLEMENTED d:/build/ob/bora-2305329/bora/devices/mainmem/mainMemHosted.c:3619"

Hi,

I just encountered what appears to be an assertion from VMware Workstation 11 running a very fresh Windows 10:

NOT_IMPLEMENTED d:/build/ob/bora-2305329/bora/devices/mainmem/mainMemHosted.c:3619

I have a file "vmsupport-2015-02-05-21-52.zip" of 5 MB size which I will be happy to upload to private VMware storage. I will not post this in a public forum, sorry. Please provide a complete set of instructions on how to proceed.

Note: I tried to submit this as a support incident, too, but somehow the system does not let me proceed despite me having purchased straight from the VMware store directly last December. I am displeased about the efforts I have to go to help VMware improve their product. Please make this experience a tad smoother. It is also in your interest to learn of issues.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cynar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to VMware providing instructions the support dump has just been forwarded onwards.

0 Kudos
jessepool
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi cynar. Sorry for the trouble you had with filing this issue.

The issue seems to be that the vmware-vmx.exe process failed to correctly track the machine page number (MPN) for some page of guest memory. Workstation tried unpin a page of guest memory (give the page back to Windows for swapping), but we did not have that page pinned. This is an unrecoverable error, so we crash the VM.

Have you seen this issue more than once? If so would you be willing to enable debugging? Enabling debugging may make your VM run a little slower, but debugging information will give us more logs and more runtime checks. You can enable debugging in the Virtual Machine Settings window, under Advanced->Gather debugging information->Full.

Jesse

cynar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this issue once only, but then I am very light in my use of VMware at the moment.

Thanks for the instructions for enabling debugging; I just applied them to the Windows 10 guest.

Just some more context information, before I get everything:

I had two or three VMs running in parallel - one Windows 10, one or two Linux VMs.

I have configured all VMs to always have four processors (2+2) - i.e. I ran up to 12 virtual processors on a 2+2 laptop.

I am also pretty aggressive in assigned memory - the VMs should have had 16 GB provisioned (on a 16 GB physical memory box).

This scheme works out well for me, as I never load up more than one of the VMs to the max. My storage being SSD helps, too.

The Windows 10 VM died totally out of the blue, while I was working in a different VM (i.e. some non-interactive taks must have done something funky right after the update to / reboot of the then latest Windows 10 pushed build).

0 Kudos