VMware Communities
bbb4
Contributor
Contributor

Decreasing MacOS Growable Disk size (VMware Workstation 16 Pro)

Hello,

I have MacOS 12.3 VM in VMware Workstation 16 Pro, on my Windows 11 PC. Earlier, the disk size for the VM was pre-allocated (80 GB). Currently the VM has only used about 50 GB. To decrease the allocated space, I converted disk to "growable". But still, I cannot decrease the allocated space.

Please find the attached images containing:

1.png --> The disk file (80 GB)

2.png --> In Disk Utility of MacOS, the size of VMware disk

3.png --> In Disk Utility of MacOS, the size of OS Disk, the volume where MacOS is installed in VMware Disk (There is only one volume)

I'm new to this platform, so it would be great if I could get detailed help. 😅

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can't discuss this topic here, since running MacOS on non-Apple hardware such as a Windows PC is a violation of the Apple EULA.

Thread reported to moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Scott is right.

Unfortunately Apple does not allow you to run a virtual macOS or OS X on non-Apple branded hardware.

Since this violates Apple's EULA (and as such the VMware Community Terms of Use), any issues you have with trying to run macOS or OS X using VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player cannot be discussed at this forum.

You'll need to have apple hardware and use a product like VMware Fusion or VMware ESXi and run a virtual copy of macOS / OS X on that in order for us to be able to help you.

As a result this post will be locked.

Hope you understand,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos