VMware Communities
ShadowFoxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darkmode missing in 16.2.0

Updated to vmware workstation pro 16.2.0, ( on current windows 10 build ), and darkmode disappeared.  Under edit, display, settings, the           theme panel which use to be present to select theme options is now completely gone.  How do we get the ability to select our color pallet/theme mode or was this completely taken away without reference to patch notes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mrdow2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a work around.

File: C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

Add line at end: wsFeatureDarkModeSupported = "TRUE"

Save file. Reload VMware Workstation app. Theme returns.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
18 Replies
beyonddezign
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also wondering how to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing, we're investigating. This is unintentional.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This has me very concerned, and I believe we need more than an "Oops" statement from VMware right away...

The loss of dark mode, because it's quite likely MANY people on VMware's staff would want to use it, HAS to be something someone in the VMware development and test staff would have noticed.  Sure, many folks would test with default settings.  But not all.

I doubt you're releasing major updates without doing any testing.  No reasonable corporation would allow a software change that could break it like this to go into such a release without at least spot testing, and the basic appearance of the product would be noticed.

And I doubt all your developers and testers have a version of Windows other than the one I'm running, 21H1.  Sure, Windows 11 is out - mere days ago - but not everyone is going to have updated yet.  21H1 is the version you'd most likely be running.

Let's assume it was noticed, then...  Does this imply your internal processes for error tracking are broken?  Sure, these are Covid times and I imagine many of your folks are working from home.  It has to have been a communication problem - what managers would allow such a problem to go out?  And if they did, have it remain undocumented in the release notes?  Yet we find nothing here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.2.0/rn/VMware-Workstation-1620-Pro-Release-Note...

So - given all the above - we users imagine the possibility that the VMware software update system has been hacked and instead of the real 16.2 we've had delivered nefarious software based on an older version that didn't have dark mode.

We really need an official explanation here and serious assurance that we just got real software!  We needed it yesterday!

DarrenRichards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 ... I totally agree with you Noel!

0 Kudos
mrdow2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a work around.

File: C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

Add line at end: wsFeatureDarkModeSupported = "TRUE"

Save file. Reload VMware Workstation app. Theme returns.

Tags (1)
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Working - thanks a bunch!
0 Kudos
Art_L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was a great tip that made perfect sense when you think about it.

0 Kudos
shahinam2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked, thank you 🙏

0 Kudos
DarrenRichards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks @mrdow2000 

0 Kudos
pumapanzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've had similar questions about development and support quality: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Win10-guest-System-Idle-eating-CPU-vmware-v...

Linux support for VMware Workstation Pro leaves a lot to be desired (see: documentation still references shared virtual machines, a feature that has been removed, also stated in the same documentation)(see: zero documentation that clearly states which Linux kernels are supported for a Workstation Pro host).

I've been considering switching back to Windows 10 as my host operating system for multiple reasons including better gaming support and hopefully better support for VMware Workstation Pro.

Seeing threads like this one, where a feature that is important to many users is missed in testing, makes me wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze, to switch back to Windows. How many other important features were missed? How does a community member have a faster response, with an effective workaround, when compared to VMware employees? At this point, VMware has to know that their support channels are abysmal, at best, and that in 2021, folks come to the community forums for support, right?

I've tinkered with Virtualbox. I've tinkered with Qemu/KVM. Both work well in some circumstances, but, as much as it pains me to say it, VMware does better all around, unless you're only using a headless VM that's accessed over well known protocols (SSH, HTTP, etc.).

macOS Fusion Pro works reasonably well; however, there are several threads in this community where users are struggling with a new DHCP design on Big Sur. Ultimately, macOS is a deal breaker for me because I want to use a powerful machine without having to pay Apple tax for hardware. The point is that no matter which host OS you choose, there are trade-offs. Trade-offs that could be easier to accept if support was just, well, better...

0 Kudos
MaliciousPacket
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm inclined to share NoelC1's feelings on the topic. Supply chain attacks are a thing and what better way to get into a vast array of organizations than to infiltrate the most popular virtualization platform, in a way similar to SolarWinds. 

When something so blatantly obvious escapes detection, it raises serious questions about the integrity of the release. VMWare has still been quiet on the topic, which is even more concerning. 

Hyper-V or Virtual Box starting to look better by the day... 

0 Kudos
cali012393
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you @mrdow2000 

0 Kudos
nokiahelp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@NoelC1  Don't worry on Windows 11 the problem exists, it's (mostly) not related to the Windows version 😉

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that we know the wsFeatureDarkModeSupported = "TRUE" workaround restores functionality, one wonders why it isn't included in the release notes.

Customer support will of course think that this forum thread - customers helping other customers - has been a success.  In a way it has, but if you are reading this thread, VMware, please know that having had the feelings of "Might VMware have been hacked?" are really not good ones, as echoed by others including MaliciciousPacket, above.

-Noel

0 Kudos
marioiram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This work around doesn't work on Windows Server 2016 and it seems it wasn't fixed on the latest update (16.2.1), any idea if they are aware of this?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@marioiram wrote:

This work around doesn't work on Windows Server 2016 and it seems it wasn't fixed on the latest update (16.2.1), any idea if they are aware of this?

I have 16.2.1 installed on Windows 10 21H1 (Build 19043.1288).  No workarounds - I can switch to Dark mode (which OMG is hard on the eyes BTW!) just fine via the preferences dialog box.

0 Kudos
marioiram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@RDPetruska 

I'm not having any issue with it on Windows 10 like I said the problem is on Windows 2016 Std.

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> Dark mode (which OMG is hard on the eyes BTW!) 

To each his own.  For me and my particular eyes (which have been looking at computer displays since the 1970s), I find bright backgrounds with dark characters harder to read as well as invoking something that literally feels like a precursor to a migraine headache.  I for one am very glad we have a choice, and I literally feel it when that choice is removed.

FWIW, I've just installed 16.2.1 on Win 10 21H1 and it's still looking and working fine, with no further changes to the .vmx file (I did NOT take out the workaround manually; why bother if it still works as desired?).  No obvious anomalies and no unexpected errors in the host or guest system event logs.

-Noel

0 Kudos