VMware Communities
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG Error on Client Windows 10 version 2004 Feature Upgrade (from 1903)

I received notification for one of my Windows 10 VMs that the upgrade to 2004 was ready to install. Having a recent backup, I started the update. The update failed with a blue screen indicating DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG as the issue. It automatically repeated the attempt twice more, then reverted to the prior version, 1903 build 18362.959.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.959 with VMWare 15.5.6 build-16341506 on the host.

The most common cause for this error with earlier feature updates to Windows was attempting to perform the update on a snapshotted VM. Mine is not snapshotted, however.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UPDATE: Microsoft forced another update on the VM and it appears to have completed successfully. So while the question wasn't answered, it no longer seems to be an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UPDATE: Microsoft forced another update on the VM and it appears to have completed successfully. So while the question wasn't answered, it no longer seems to be an issue.

0 Kudos
aandc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have a snapshot? Please try delete all snapshot and have a try.

https://www.stephenwagner.com/2018/10/07/bsod-driver-pnp-watchdog-error-upgrading-vmware-vm-windows-...

0 Kudos