VMware Communities
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DNS not querying/ recognizing/ resolving internal domain name when nslookup

DNS is not querying/ recognizing/ resolving internal domain name when I do NSLOOKUP

In my vmware workstation 8, for practice lab purpose my setup is as follows:-

1] Win 2k8R2 Enetrprise edi.vm as my DC with DNS & DHCP configured and working perfect. DNS is getting resolved internally via NSLOOKUP. Obviously, server has manual ip assigned...192.168.1.xx series.

2] Win 2k8 Std. edi. vm as my Client and getting dhcp lease address from the above DC and also the DNS is getting resolved internally via NSLOOKUP.

Now that these two vms are communicating perfectly with each other, I thought about connecting them to my physical internet.

So, in the Virtual network editor, I added two Host-only type network named VMnet03 and VMnet 04 with Use local dhcp service checkbook Disabled.

Now, in both the vms, an additional network connection got added and hence was successfully able to browse internet from both vms.

Now the REAL problem:--

After the above configuration, when I do NSLOOKUP on the DC, the DNS doesnt resolves internally but instead resolves external sites on the internet.

I havent specified any kind of forwarding, its a simple DNS setup.

I want it to resolve to the internal domain.

What setting do I need to do in DNS or in VM network?

I tried almost all types of settings in vm virtual network editor by specifying dns manually and so on but none worked.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No reply yet? :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Post the result of ipconfig/all on your DC.

Lou

Edit: in nslookup, run "set timeout=10" to get rid of the timeouts. 

Message was edited by: louyo

0 Kudos