VMware Communities
Eric1975
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DHCP Stopped Working in Guest with Bridged Connection

I'm running Workstation Pro 16.2.5 and DHCP has always worked with my VMnet1 bridged to by wireless adapter on my laptop.

Today, it just stopped working.  I can assign a static IP in the guest matched to the wireless network connected to with my host and it works, but DHCP does not.  

Tried searching for an answer, but I can't find anything that works.  Anything I might be overlooking (especially since nothing was changed)?

ipconfig /renew gives me the following message:
An error occurred while renewing interface Host Local WiFi : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For bridged connections it is the host OS network DHCP server that provides the DHCP services.
So in your case I would make sure that the DHCP service on your WiFi still works.
Probably the easiest troubleshooting step is to bounce the WiFi power and let it reboot.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For bridged connections it is the host OS network DHCP server that provides the DHCP services.
So in your case I would make sure that the DHCP service on your WiFi still works.
Probably the easiest troubleshooting step is to bounce the WiFi power and let it reboot.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Eric1975
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I never even thought of that!  Thank you very much and to think I spent all that time trying to reset and reconfig my virtual networks.. LOL..

This worked 100%.

0 Kudos