VMware Communities
chicken3
Contributor
Contributor

D3D Game issues AMD Athlon x2 - same setup on Intel works fine

So I'm trying to run a game called Battlefield Heroes. Runs perfect on my Intel DuoCore E8400, 4GB RAM, Geforce 275 GTX, Windows Vista x64 (I also run Win7 x64 and they run fine there too). And I'm running the latest version of VMware workstation. I've even got it to run fine on an Athlon XP 2000+ with 768MB RAM on Windows XP 32bit with WinXP as guest.

I have a similiar PC except that it has an AMD Athlon II 245 (x2 2.9GHZ), 4GB Ram, Radeon 3870. Same OS. I had my friend try on his Athlon x2 6400+ and he has the same exact issues (and he was running WinXP SP3 32bit)

On the Athlon x2s the system is quite sluggish and when I try to connect to a server it just lags out and disconnects.

I've experimented with 1 core and 2 core systems. I've redone the VMs about a dozen times by now, I've cloned, copied, moved already functioning VMs and nothing works on the Athlon systems. I had my friend try multiple different settings and his don't run either.

I did all the videocard memory tweaks, the host clock synch tweak, and some mouse tweaks as well. No matter what settings I throw at the Intel, it runs flawlessly. Athlon takes a big crap no matter what I do. I can't even get 1 VM with 3GB of ram dedicated to it with nothing else running on the system to run correctly, whereas on the Intel I can connect 3 virual machines with the game, AND run the game on my main windows!

I've seen a lot of threads about AMD issues, most being older versions of VMware, and none really about 3d gaming, so if anybody has any suggestions please let me know thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies