VMware Communities
kven
Contributor
Contributor

D drive missing from the image

Hello,

I have got a VMware v12 image from my friend with Windows server 2012 R2 standard OS. When I looked at the system details I found that D drive is missing. I am able to logon properly but when I try to open any application installed in D drive it is throwing the below error.

The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'target.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

I have contacted my colleague and he gave me a file to update in the image. it worked and I am able to see the D drive. But unfortunately, I had to format my system and I didn't take a copy of the file. Below is the screen shot for your reference. Can you please advise?

pastedImage_3.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Please post a complete list of the VM's files (i.e. the output of dir *.* /one), and attach its configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post.

From what you explain, I assume that the VM has a secondary virtual disk which is not attached.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have contacted my colleague and he gave me a file to update in the image. it worked and I am able to see the D drive. But unfortunately, I had to format my system and I didn't take a copy of the file. Below is the screen shot for your reference. Can you please advise?

Let me verify that I am understanding this correctly:

1. Your colleague gave you a copy of a VM (possible legality issues aside).

2. You tried to boot the VM but discovered that it had a missing disk file.

3. You contacted your colleague and obtained a copy of the missing disk file.

4. The missing disk file allowed your VM to work properly.

5. You accidentally deleted that disk file, so it's missing again.

What help are you expecting people to give you?  Clearly you're missing the disk file, and you've already solved this problem once.  Ask your colleague for another copy.

0 Kudos
SatNerd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar issue. Imported image from my server, a Win2012 R2 image. It contains C: and 😧 drives. (both vmdk's are present).

When importing into vmware player 16 on my PC,it boots fine, but 😧 disk seems to be missing. It only sees my C: and 😧 (CD-Rom player).

when importing the same image into my genuine Vsphere equipment both disks show up just fine. (there is nothing wrong with image)

Why?

I acutally wanted to import the image on PC connected to internet, apply all patches, then export it again to re-import into my prod environment (not conneted to internet). I'm not a VM export.

When looking in the vm files and logs, it looks like both disks are there and correctly seen, but once Windows 2012R2 is booted, it does NOT see the 😧 drive.

Any idea's, suggestions?

W.

0 Kudos