VMware Communities
Toaster4000
Contributor
Contributor

Cycling multiple monitors is unreliable with Win11 guests

Ever since Windows 11 came out, I've had issues with the "Cycle multiple monitors" button while running Win11 guests. Often, if I click it, Windows sees a second monitor, but VMware doesn't display anything on the second monitor - I just still see the host. Worse, the first monitor seems to compress all the mouse cursor area for two monitors into just the one, meaning you can't click anything until you cycle multiple monitors back off.

There's no reliable workaround. Often, kicking back to the login screen makes it work for some reason. Sometimes you have to reboot the guest. I was hoping an update from VMware would fix it, but after multiple 16.x updates, it never was, and it's still broken in 17. Surely I'm not the only one hitting this. Any chance this could be fixed soon? I depend on multiple monitor support, and this bug is super frustrating. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Toaster4000
Contributor
Contributor

It appears the bug also repros with Windows 10, but less often. As with 11, the only fix when I hit this is to disable multi-monitor, "Switch User" back to the login screen, and immediately try re-enabling multi-monitor. If that doesn't work, unlock the VM and repeat until it does work.

0 Kudos
foxsquirrel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What video card are you running and how much ram? NVME?

0 Kudos
Toaster4000
Contributor
Contributor

It repros on two different machines—my laptop with a Quadro T2000 + 64GB of RAM, and my desktop with a Quadro P5000 + 64GB of RAM. So it seems unlikely it’s a hardware configuration issue. I don’t follow the NVMe question—how would disk storage be related?

Both machines have 10 Pro for Workstations as the host OS.

0 Kudos