VMware Communities
justSteve
Contributor
Contributor

Current state of support for Hamachi

Running a search on 'Hamachi' turns up a fair number of articles but many are old enough to wonder how relevent they are to the current generate of Win7 and VMware Workstation. (i don't think hamachi's changed much in the last 3-5 years.)

I'm running within a small home-office LAN and using Hamachi to map network drives out to a handful of remote workstations - all Win7 or WinServer08. My specfic use case is implementing a VM that functions as my Visual Studio-based development workstation for web app, meaning i need to configure for IIS7 and SQL08. I basically want to be able to move a VM from desktop to laptop and be assured i'm working with the same resources where ever i boot from. Hamachi factors into this because I currently have mapped network drives (hamachi-based) pointing at production and staging servers. It'd be nice to maintain that connectivity with the VM but not utterly essential if lots of complexity (hair loss) entails.

I'm looking for pre-sales feedback on the sorts of problems I might encounter as I try to mix in virtualized machines with Hamachi.

many thkx

--steve...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
justSteve
Contributor
Contributor

This post seems relevant: http://community.logmein.com/t5/Hamachi/Hamachi-and-VMWare-Server-amp-VMWare-Workstation/m-p/24636#U.... Still interested in other thoughts from folks here. thx

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

May I sum up your post to "you are worried about some unspecified problems that may occur if you run hamachi on the VMware host ?"

is that correct ?

Care to explain a bit ?

What goes wrong for example ...

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
justSteve
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah...that sums it up nicely.I'm still working to bring up my first VM - not deep enough into it for specfic malfunctions. I'm looking to see if i should adjust my general approach and/or expectations as I get started in the process.

appreciated

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

lets make a deal - you try it now - we help when you run into problems

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wouldn't use Hamachi, at least not in its current state. The program uses IP addresses that it doesn't own, specifically those that start with 5. With public addresses becoming more scarce, it wouldn't be surprising if addresses in the 5 range start to be doled out.

0 Kudos