VMware Communities
Datekco
Contributor
Contributor

Creating local domain for TEST

Hi,

Im working with vmware workstation 7 and what Im trying to do is a domain only for testing purposes, so far here's what I got:

- Windows 2008, AD, DHCP, DNS, with 2 NICs (1 NAT, other with vnet3 subnet 10.1.1.0, 255.255.0.0 created on Virtual Network editor, Host only, DHCP disabled)

- Windows 7 (client machine, 1 NIC conected to vnet3)

It's all working but I cannot get the client machine to get the IP from the DHCP server, neighter the 2nd NIC on the server gets an IP.

My guess is that Im configuring the vnet wrong (I hope)

Can someone please guide me on how to's?

Thank you

Jay

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you wanna get IP addres from DHCP server then you have go for Bridge networking configurations.

Select you adaapter bridge mode and select your machine DHCP mode that may help you get IP address from your DHCP server.

abirhasan 
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this post over to the VMware Workstation forum.

0 Kudos
Datekco
Contributor
Contributor

Just want to add:

Both machines are VMs. From the Windwos 2008 I want to be able to assing IPs via DHCP to any other VM (now I have 1 VM -Windows 7) on the local domain.

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you confirm that the DHCP server configuration is correct (e.g. DHCP authorized)?

As a quick test: Are the clients able to connect to the DC when you assign a static IP address?

André

0 Kudos
Datekco
Contributor
Contributor

Heres the thing:

- I set vnet with the following IP 10.1.1.0 Subnet: 255.255.255.0, see image

vnet3.PNG

- on the Windows 2008 machine i have: 1 NIC using NAT and other on vnet3

- on the Windows 7 machine I have: 1NIC using vnet3

- I did set static IP on the Windows 7 machine and I was able to see the machine on windows 2008 DHCP. but when I tried to join the machine to Domain it would not allow me to.

- I think I could have issues with DNS

- I would work on that and I would get back

Thank your for help

0 Kudos
Datekco
Contributor
Contributor

I have actually discover the reason why I was not able to do that.

first, on my windows 2008 I had two NIC cards, so NIC1 I set it as NAT with a static IP address from vmware workstation DHCP service. then on the other NIC2, I created in virtual network Editor on vnet4 using Host-only and not using DHCP from vmware, instead I disabled the service and used the Subnet IP the same as the one I was going to use on my own DHCP addresses. After that on the DHCP I dedicated a static IP to the NIC2 with 10.10.10.11, so the DNS would work under that IP as well. Now I have all my domain working perfectly and everytime I created a new VM on the NIC properties I select vnet4 so the machine would get and IP from my DHCP, even my ESX host(s) get IP's with no problem and they can resolve names too.

Thank you

0 Kudos