VMware Communities
CX2
Contributor
Contributor

Creating an OVA file in VM Pro 12

The following instructions state how to export from VM Workstation Pro to OVA.

In VM Pro 12 (12.5.4 build-5192485) this doesn't appear to be a feature i.e. there is no Format field.  Only VDF/VDMK files can be created.

Any clues how to export to OVA?

Thanks in advance

Export an OVF Template

In the Format field, determine how you want to store the files.      

• Select Folder of files (OVF) to store the OVF template as a set of files (.ovf, .vmdk, and .mf). Use this format if you plan to publish the OVF files on a Web server or image library. You can import the package, for example into the vSphere Web Client by specifying the URL to the OVF file.
  • Select Single file (OVA) to package the OVF template into a single .ova file. Use this format if the OVF template will be downloaded from a Web site or moved around using a USB key.
  • (Optional) : In the Annotation field, type a description.
  • Select the Enable advanced options checkbox if you want to include BIOS UUID, MAC address, or extra configuration information in the exported template.       These options limit portability.
  • Click OK.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can refer to pubs Export a Virtual Machine to OVF Format

VMware Workstation Documentation Center

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
CX2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying, However this is only for exporting to OVF.

How can the you export to OVA?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When asked where to store the result you can keep the suggested path as ...somewhere\name.ovf or change it to .... somewhere\name.ova.
If you select ovf you just get an obscured version of the vmx-file.
If you select ova you get a tarball with the ovf plus the included virtual disks.
Just curious - why do you want to use OVA/OVF format ?
IMHO that format is widely overrated - in practical use just zipping the complete directory is way more compatible AND RELIABLE

0 Kudos
CX2
Contributor
Contributor

My target platform accepts OVA templates at compatibility 7/8.

In VM Workstation I can specify finename.ova but it still doesn't appear to create the .ova file. However I do get a filename.vmdk. (I am re-running the steps to check this however)

Do I need to do something else here?

Also, there is an option to upload ISO files but this looks more complex. May need to read up.

Thanks for help

Regards Andrew

0 Kudos