VMware Communities
SamG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a vm from a Ghost image

When I try to create a vm from a Ghost image it doesn't see the vm disk. It can see my usb drives but not the vm created disk. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The Ghost boot environment doesn't have the drivers loaded for the disk type you are using.

What type of disk are you trying to restore to? I'd suggest you restore to an IDE disk and then use VMware Converter to create a new VM with all the right "stuff" set up.

mike

mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what do you mean with "it" doesn't see the vm-disk ?

how do you proceed ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
SamG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When Ghost starts it finds the usb drive with the image on it. But when Ghost asks for the restore location it only displays the usb drive that has the image. There is not a selection for the virtual drive.

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The Ghost boot environment doesn't have the drivers loaded for the disk type you are using.

What type of disk are you trying to restore to? I'd suggest you restore to an IDE disk and then use VMware Converter to create a new VM with all the right "stuff" set up.

mike

mike

0 Kudos
dmauder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check it out SamG --

Dave

-Dave
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no converter ever could work with *.gho files.

So the procedure goes like this

1. use ghost-CD and restore the *.gho files to a newly created vmdk inside a new VM - you MUST create this new VM yourself manually !

2. do not start the new VM after restoring was successful - instead use Converter's patch option only against the vmx-file.

In Converter GUI this is called "reconfiguration"

SamG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This turned out to be interesting. My engineering computer has a SATA drive. Even though I built my vm on a usb drive the Ghost restore had problems negotiating with the host drive. I ended up restoring to an IDE computer and then imaging that with Acronis 10. This allowed me to use Converter to virualize the system.

Thanks

SamG

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's the procedure I suggested, but probably should have written out more clearly.

mike

mike

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yep - same procedure - I only noticed that often folks think that Converter will create the VM for them and so I repeated ...

0 Kudos