VMware Communities
Obb_City_000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a laptop environment in VMWare

Dear Members,

I am a new person on this forum. I am a student. I have a software for online lectures. However, that software does not run on a PC, but it runs only on a laptop. The program detects that I am using PC and refuses to play any video file.

So my question is can I use VMWare to create a laptop environment? In other words, can I make that program feel that it is running on a laptop (in VMWare) when in fact it is running on PC?

Can VMWare do this simulation? Or I will have to buy a separate laptop altogether and then run the program? Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

An Intel laptop *is* a PC.

Without knowing what the software is looking for to determine that it is running on a laptop, it’s difficult to say whether the virtual hardware provided by VMware Workstation will allow the software to to run or how well it will run  

The name of the software, it’s hardware and operating system requirements, and the exact error message you are seeing might help, as well as the hardware and operating system configuration of the desktop PC might help us figure out what’s gong on  

Is it possible that your PC does not meet minimum hardware requirements for that software to run? In which case a virtual machine may not help (it won’t “emulate” features of a CPU that aren’t present in the chip). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

An Intel laptop *is* a PC.

Without knowing what the software is looking for to determine that it is running on a laptop, it’s difficult to say whether the virtual hardware provided by VMware Workstation will allow the software to to run or how well it will run  

The name of the software, it’s hardware and operating system requirements, and the exact error message you are seeing might help, as well as the hardware and operating system configuration of the desktop PC might help us figure out what’s gong on  

Is it possible that your PC does not meet minimum hardware requirements for that software to run? In which case a virtual machine may not help (it won’t “emulate” features of a CPU that aren’t present in the chip). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Obb_City_000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your reply.

I agree that there was a conceptual misclarity on my part. Thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding. The software is running fine. 

0 Kudos