VMware Communities
needhelp64587
Contributor
Contributor

​ Creating Windows 7 virtual machines on a USB Flash Drive - Having Problems!

I just want to install five Windows 7 64-bit virtual machines on a 128 GB USB flash drive. Now in final leg of this I'm getting an error message that VMware cannot find the specified file.

why.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

So I begin by installing VMware player on my windows 7 64-bit PC. Then I stuck the USB flash drive and or USB port and made sure it appeared in computer and it did, as the E Drive. I have a Windows 7 ISO file and pointed to that when attempting to set up a 20 GB virtual machine on the USB stick.

Everything went fine up until I click finish. Then I get that error message.

Does anybody know how to resolve this so that I may create up to five virtual machines on this USB flash drive and then be able to just open those in other computers and laptops outside of this one?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Which filesystem is used on the USB-stick ?
Do not use the root of a driveletter to create a new VM - instead always use subdirectories like E:\vm1 , E:\vm2 and so on
Please attach the vmware.log to your next reply or tell us which file exactly can not be located.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It's a guess, but it could be that the virtual machine tries to grab the USB flash drive as your VM has a USB controller included.

I'm off the opinion that it should not do that, but ...

In your case I would remove the USB controller from the virtual hardware and try again.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos