VMware Communities
mehart
Contributor
Contributor

Creating Images of virtual machines after running sysprep in Linux

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone has info on how to create images of virtual machines after running sysprep...

Here is the scenario....trying to keep my Windows Images updated by building them in vmware and then running syprep, so that I can push out the images to any computer hardware....

As you are well aware...taking snapshots just before sysprep allows me to revert to that point and continue updating my virtual machines until I need an image...

It is capturing the image after running sysprep that I am a little lost about......:smileylaugh:

Can someone get me started on this, please!

mehart

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the subject of your post you say "Creating Images of virtual machines after running sysprep in Linux" yet in the body of the reply you talk about Windows, so which is it, Linux or Windows?

As you are well aware...taking snapshots just before sysprep allows me to revert to that point and continue updating my virtual machines until I need an image...

It is capturing the image after running sysprep that I am a little lost about......:smileylaugh:

I'd say you can capture an image the same way before and after however "image" by itself is ambiguous, so what type of "image" is it you're trying to capture/create and how have you been doing it before that makes it any different after?

0 Kudos
mehart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ:smileygrin:

OK! You got me there...wont be the first time.....lol..

What I would like to do is run VMware in Linux...probably Ubuntu...

I then want to build up to date images of my windows....XP, Vista, Windows 7 etc the idea being to keep up to date images I can push out to clients...It saves me time and my customers money...that was the reason for sysprep....not hardware dependant....

I was looking at the creating of bootable images I can have on DVD's and the option to

Before I had a test machine that I could install different Windows OS on and then create bootable iso's. Just thought it would be nice do do this all in VMware and cut down on an extra computer.....

Not sure what way is best to capture the OS after running sysprep and be able to push it out to waiting clients?

This thread was a little field trip in all options...

thanks!

mehart

0 Kudos
mehart
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again!

I have been on forums for years and this is the least helpful one....Doesn't seem to matter how you put a question.....hardly ever get an answer?!

I am certain of one thing and that is there are members using VMware for just what I am asking.....

VMware is great....shame that you have to beg to get help on the forum.....

mehart

0 Kudos