VMware Communities
Fabrix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create a simple internal network between two or more virtual machines

Hello guys,
I just wanted to ask how can I create an internal network between multiple virtual machines without the host must be part of.

I do not want that your network has a NAT but I want to HOST a part of another network.

I tried the changes on the network adapters, but does not work ..
Obviously with VMware Workstation 8

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, on your "Virtual Machine Settings" - screenshot #1 - select VMnet2 (as an example).  Do this for each guest that you want on this private, "Guest-Only" network.  Note that you will need to configure every guest's network settings inside each guest OS; or have one guest be a server with a dhcp server running that the other guests can get an IP address configuration from.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Put all the VMs on one of the unused VMnet switches (2-7, 9).

0 Kudos
som94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

0 Kudos
Fabrix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Settings vm.jpgVirtual Network Editor.jpg

Pannel control.jpg

according to the image set, virtual machines settings is one of my virtual machines.
Exactly what should I set?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For a network between virtual machines only create a new network using the "Add Network..." button, set it to Host-Only and uncheck "Connect a host virtual adapter to his network".

André

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, on your "Virtual Machine Settings" - screenshot #1 - select VMnet2 (as an example).  Do this for each guest that you want on this private, "Guest-Only" network.  Note that you will need to configure every guest's network settings inside each guest OS; or have one guest be a server with a dhcp server running that the other guests can get an IP address configuration from.

0 Kudos
Fabrix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks RdpPetruska,
Virtual Machine Settings on two Guest only have selected Custom: Specific Virtual Network and I chose the Vmnet2.
I remembered that I had to communicate on the network, or disable the firewall or set a rule to exchange ICMP pings. : D

I wanted to take advantages to clarify some of the concepts:
-When exactly should I go to change settings Virtual Network Editor?

- When I add a network of Virtual Network Editor, I get on the control panel of the 'HOST.
When I need to change network settings, for example, enter an IP network connection that is created on the control panel?
- Bridging car when I could serve?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> -When exactly should I go to change settings Virtual Network Editor?

You only need to do anything in Virtual Network Editor once - after setting up Workstation.
At that time you select vmnet0 and change it from "aotomatic bridging" to the physical network card you want to use for VMNet0.
After that is done you can leave everything else alone

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I wasn't changing anything via the virtual network editor. I have a notebook with WLAN and ethernet and "automatic bridging" works fine here as well as "automatic bridging" on my home pc with one network. So I guess the need to use the virtual network adapter strongly depends what you need in terms of networking and virtual machines.

I have used it over several versions but I'm happy with bridged for some domain related stuff or NAT for some testing and usage of different linux versions. So for me I hadn't used it at all Smiley Wink