VMware Communities
mgoldsteinsv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create XP VM of my Current Laptop to run in new Windows 7 Laptop

I'm quite confused right now with all the different product offerings. What product(s) do I need to create a VM of my current XP laptop environment to run on my new Windws 7 laptop? I thought I needed VMware Workstation, but now I'm seeing Converter and Player, which may also be involved in this process. Just pretty lost right now.

Besides which product(s) I need, it would be great if someone could either give me an outline of the steps to accomplish this, or at least point me to a document.

TIA

Mitch

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Aaaah I got it. You can't create a VM withount installing it. So you will need to use Converter to convert your physical machine into a Workstation 7 machine (you will need a separate/external storage or a different partition to copy the generated VMX and VMDK).

For downloading converter 4 free you can follow this link: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you create a VM on Workstation 7, it will be compatible with another installation of the same software - you only will need to copy *.vmx and *.vmdk files from one computer to another.

VMware player only runs VMs, do not create or configure them. Converter is used to convert physical machines to virtual, of virtual to virtual also involving VMware vSphere and VI3 (and some other scenarios).

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
mgoldsteinsv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the .vmx &.vmdk files are my XP machine? How do I create them? Do I install VM Workstation on both computers, then copy the *.vmx & *.vmdk files? Once I install the VM Workstation, are those files automatically created? Sorry for my ignorance. I appreciate your help.

Mitch

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yeah, they will be created automatically, but not on workstation installation. When you create a VM (launching the workstation 7 program), it will be requested to you to point a folder to store VM files. At this folder there will be several files, but you only need the vmx and vmdk ones to copy to another workstation 7.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
mgoldsteinsv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran vmware.exe and it asks me if I want to create a New Virtual Machine, New Team, or Open Existing VM or Team. The New VM asks me for CDs for an operating system install, but I just want to use my current install. Is there a different exe I should be running?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Aaaah I got it. You can't create a VM withount installing it. So you will need to use Converter to convert your physical machine into a Workstation 7 machine (you will need a separate/external storage or a different partition to copy the generated VMX and VMDK).

For downloading converter 4 free you can follow this link: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware player only runs VMs, do not create or configure them.

VMware Player 3 does indeed has the capability to create and edit Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
mgoldsteinsv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what's the difference between running a VM in Player vs Workstation? Also, I did try to run my VM in Player, and it started to load windows, but then said I needed to Activate Windows. When I tried to enter my product code, I kept getting Incorrect Product Key. I entered two different Keys I have and neither worked. Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos