VMware Communities
KnightWhoSaysNi
Contributor
Contributor

Create New, Large VM from Old VM - Trying to Import with Problems...

I am trying to create a new virtual machine based on another virtual machine with the import wizard. I fill out all of the information press the button to create and Workstation gives me an error message that the virtual machine is still on. There are no lock files but I cannot complete the import.

Maybe there is anoher way to do this. The original problem is that I created a fixed disk VM with 12 GB of space. I really need 20 GB of space, but I don't want to have to reload all of the software with a new VM. How can I create a new VM with 20 GB of space from my old 12 GB VM?

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Try to use VMware Converter. Install and run it inside of old virtual machine to create new VM clone with proper disk size. Filesystem should automatically get resized at the same time.

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

0 Kudos
KnightWhoSaysNi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...

I installed VMWare Converter and tried within my old VM, but was unable to run within the old VM.

I went ahead and loaded on my host machine, shutdown Workstation 6 and am using Converter to re-size my VM as I type this. Not sure why the import wizard would not work within Workstation 6...

0 Kudos