VMware Communities
Dranger
Contributor
Contributor

Crashed Windows XP Unrecoverable?

Hi all

I am running Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04, I started out running vmware server. Installed Windows XP Pro and everything ran fine. One day the electricity went out while working and I didn't get the computer shutdown fast enough for the batter backup. VMware cut out without being shutdown.

When I went back in to power up my xp it came up with an error BAD_POOL_CALLER. I can't load in any way my xp, not in safe mode or anything. I tried to re install over the same XP but the installation CD now on install comes up with the same error. So I did a complete uninstall of vmserver. Downloaded VMworkstation and gave it a try to boot up. No luck same thing. Tried reinstalling. Same problem. I have info on this vmmachine that I need to get off. VERY IMPORTANT INFO.

What can I do to salvage this virtual machine?????

I am running an AMD X2 4.2mhz system with 2gig memory 200gig HD 256mb video.

Any and all help would so apriciated. Even if it's only to salvage my info off of this vm.

Thanks

Ron

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ron,

What version of VMware Workstation?

If you are using WS 6, did you try mounting the virtual disk?

Not try this if you have snapshots

0 Kudos
Dranger
Contributor
Contributor

I am runing vmware workstation 6.0.0 build 45731

on linux 2.6.20-16

Not sure about mounting a virtual disk??? I tried to run it. That didn't work.

How do you mount it??

Ronnie

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry, should have been more clear on the map feature. The Windows version of WS 6 allows you to mount a virtual disk from the UI and Windows Explorer.

I recommend that you create a new VM and add your old virtual disk as a second virtual disk to possibly gain access to your old data.

by the way, you should like about a backup strategy just like you would for any computer in case of a disaster.

0 Kudos