VMware Communities
JamesBama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Crash during defrag - can't reopen

Workstation Pro - 11.1.4 build-3848939

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Edition, 64-bit  (Build 9600) 6.3.960

Good morning! WSP suggested a defragmentation of the VS. I've done it before, no problem. This time however, there was some sort of error that locked the process up and left me with a temp file (VMDK-DFGSHKGRW-TMP File (.vmdk-dfgshkgrw-tmp)). So of course I get the 'File not found' error.

Well, I assumed I could just restore from our backup...I have no clue what has gone with that, but it won't work either. I'm getting an 'One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or a by a snapshot.' error.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

james

25 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you may do, is to:

• close VMware Workstation (or the VM's tab)
  • backup the VM's configuration (.vmx) file
  • edit the .vmx file and replace scsi0:0.fileName = "kaos-000007.vmdk" with scsi0:0.fileName = "kaos-clone.vmdk"

André

0 Kudos
JamesBama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm dumbfounded...'machine is already in use...'

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you close VMware Workstation prior to editing the configuration file. This is necessary, so the the .vmx file is being re-read after the modification.

André

PS: Make sure that the registered VM is the one that points to the modified configuration. In doubt, unregister the current VM, edit the .vmx file, and then register that .vmx file again.

0 Kudos
JamesBama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed the VM from VMware Workstation and closed it. I then reopened it, added the modified .vmx file, checked in the settings that the hard disk points to 'kaos-clone.vmdk' and hit power on...same error. Now, when I close workstation, is it really closed? There is always the task manager icon. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not quite sure what happens. Anyway, the vmware.log file in the VM's folder will show what settings are found/read from the .vmx file.

Did you try to remove, and re-add the VM from VMware Workstation's inventory with editing the .vmx file while removed?

André

JamesBama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed everything but the 2 new clone files and vmx file and it loaded right up!

Thank you so much! You sir, are truly a life saver!

0 Kudos