VMware Communities
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could not get vmci driver version: The handle is invalid.

I'm trying to create a new VM with VMWare Workstation 15.5.2. It seems to create it, but when i tried to power on the virtual machine i get the error

Could not get vmci driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver 'vmci.sys'. Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Information of my system:

- OS guest: Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362

- Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1505M @ 3GH, 4 cores

I tried the following:

- Uninstall VMWare 15.5.2, restart the machine and try to install again 15.5.2 --> The problem is there, it doesn't work

- Uninstall VMWare 15.5.2 and install 15.5.6 --> It's impossible to install this version, i don't know wich one is the error, because there is no information in any place

- Install again VMWare 15.5.2 and tried to upgrade to 15.5.6 --> I get the error: "install of vmware workstation pro failed. contact vmware support or your system administrator. "

- I tried to look for "vmci.sys" in the system, and there is only one vmci.sys in the system, in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8", File version 9.8.16.0 build 14168184

Personally, this is very frustrating and i started to hate VMWare....

Is there any solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the solution by myself.

The problem is the TEMP folder in the system. Because of my name, the temp folder has a "ñ" character in it. And the latest versions of VMWare doesn't support the use of temp folder with such non-ASCII characters.

I just created a new temp folder called "C:\temp" and changed the environment variables TEMP and TMP of the system to use this new folder. And now it works, without any problem.

It's really amazing, but it's true. The VMWare is using internally some kind of old-fashion code (probably from the 90's) and it's not allow to use a temp folder with non-ascii characters....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the solution by myself.

The problem is the TEMP folder in the system. Because of my name, the temp folder has a "ñ" character in it. And the latest versions of VMWare doesn't support the use of temp folder with such non-ASCII characters.

I just created a new temp folder called "C:\temp" and changed the environment variables TEMP and TMP of the system to use this new folder. And now it works, without any problem.

It's really amazing, but it's true. The VMWare is using internally some kind of old-fashion code (probably from the 90's) and it's not allow to use a temp folder with non-ascii characters....

0 Kudos