VMware Communities
Jack14
Contributor
Contributor

Could I use VMWare 5.5.x if Windows 7 x64 is a host?

I tried VMWare 6.5 and just as when I tried 6.0 a while back I was less than impressed with it. I'm sure it works well, but the lack of good fullscreen like the one in the 5.5.x series really bothers me, it was very convinient to just be able to use the Guest's resolution in fullscreen and then simply by hitting ctrl+alt to be back to your host OS and resolution.I don't understand why this concept was abandoned when it worked so well

I was using 5.5.something until yesterday when I reformatted and installed Winodws 7, at first I thought my Windows XP virtual machine worked fine, but soon I realized it can't access the internet and it also has issues playing videos and stuff which weren't there when XP was my HOST OS.

For example, in fullscreen videos in the guest machine have this weird kind of choppiness but the audio is fine and I can't notice any increased system activity. So is it possible to use VMWare 5.5.x in Windows 7 and should I expect the same, absolutely flawless performance from it I had in XP?

System specS:

Athlon 64 3500+

2GB RAM

7800GTX - tho this doesnt mean anything for vMWare.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jack14
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I don't see an edit button.

I had XP SP2 32Bit before this, now it's Windows 7 64Bit

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt that it will work nice - 5.5 has never been tested and was not designed for Windows 7.

With a 2 Gb host system I guess WS 5.5 with XP would run better

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Jack14
Contributor
Contributor

you have no idea, dude, it ran flawlessly, and the full screen feature in 5.5 was so much better.

What about if I install 32bit 7 instead of this 64bit one? A bunch of guys on another forum said that might fix my performance issues, but I wanna verify it here as well before doing it.

edit: Nice, there's an edit button now, didn't see it earlier.

Well would it be any harm to install VMWare 5.5.x while I got 6.5 in my HDD to see if it would even work right? Or should I uninstall 6.5 first.

Another thing, does it matter if my VMWare 5.5 is 32bit or 64bit since my OS is 64bit atm, I'll switch to 32bit if people can guarantee me better performance in VMWare.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>

you have no idea, dude, it ran flawlessly, and the full screen feature in 5.5 was so much better.

never said that 5.5 was bad - you really think that win7 will outrun XP ? LOL

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos