VMware Communities
RogerBreton
Contributor
Contributor

Corrupted Component Store, after fresh installation of Windows 2008 Server SP2 64bit on Windows 8 64 bit host

I have used Workstation 10 for a year now with great success, running Windows 7 Virtual Machines on mu Win 8 64 bit host OS.

Today, I tried to add a new Virtual Machine for a Windows 2008 SP2 64bit OS.

Installation in easy mode was a breeze .

However, after running Server Manager and trying to Add roles, I ran into the following problem : corrupt component store?

A quick search online suggested running "System File Check" from an elevated command prompt with "sfc /scannow".

After completion, I got the following friendly message :

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".

My question: is this a know issue with Workstation?

/ Roger Breton

0 Kudos
2 Replies
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

No one has come through all problem so  time of testing what vmware found documented as KB and if anything not documented as KB that is know as unknown problem.

0 Kudos
RogerBreton
Contributor
Contributor

Thank's Grace, that's one way to look at it.

I since deleted the VM and decided to try my luck again by creating a new one. I was able to Add Web Server Role, last night. Things were looking bright. Before going to bed, I decided to shut it down.

This morning, I just lanched the VM and was greeted by a nice friendly message that

"Windows failed to load because of a corrupted critical system driver is missing, or corrupt"

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Now that is what I call a nice "unknown problem".

Roger

0 Kudos