VMware Communities
Rezah
Contributor
Contributor

Corrupt file in multi volume vmdk

Hi!

I have a multi volume vmdk and one of the split files seems to be inaccessible s02.  VM not starting.  Hangs up on boot and eventually causes the host to reboot.

The host OS is windows 8 64 bit and VM windows 7 32 bit.  I cannot read the file in Windows explorer.  Is there any way I can recreate a file in order for me to access the disk file to retrieve the content from the disk image.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Rezah

VMware newbie.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, that's possible. What you may do, is to create another (dummy) VM with the exact same virtual disk size, and then replace the corrupted s002.vmdk file with one of the dummy VM's files (renaming it of course). Please ensure that the extents have the exact same size (e.g. by comparing the block numbers in the descriptor .vmdk file).

André

0 Kudos
Rezah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for the response Andre.

How would I ensure the exact same block size, if the dummy one is slightly different.  The original VM's disk was not pre-allocated and was set to grow as required. But split across 2 gig chunks.  Should I use the used space as my disk size when I create the dummy rather than the total capacity of the old VM.

Please forgive the ignorance, VM's uncharted territory for me.

Many thnx for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Rezah
Contributor
Contributor

So the original is SPARSE and the Dummy is FLAT.  Not sure if it would make any difference if I manage to get the block size the same.

0 Kudos
Rezah
Contributor
Contributor

So I managed to get the dummy to the same block size.  but I still cannot access the disk.  If I replace the corrupt file S002.vmdk, readers say the image is unreadable.  If I replace S001.vmdk and S002 then it reads only the System reserved portion none of the other files in the span seem to be seen.  Am I trying something that's not possible?  Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe continuum​ can provide some help. He's an expert when it comes to data recovery..

André

Note: Discussion moved from Technical Community Resources and Help to Workstation Pro

0 Kudos
Rezah
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre!

Can't seem to get continuum's attention.  What would be the best way to get in touch.

Thx,

Rezah

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest you try to contact him via Skype (see his profile page).

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Rezah
sorry I am very busy at the moment.
I hope to find some time 4 you on wednesday
Ulli

0 Kudos
Rezah
Contributor